Ceramic heaters in brooders vs. infrared lamps

Posted by: Robbie

Ceramic heaters in brooders vs. infrared lamps - 05/08/15 08:39 PM

I just got my new chicks today (Buckeyes) and they are under a brooder lamp. Would putting them under a ceramic heater be a better idea? they seem to be very active at night under the lamp. My thoughts are that a ceramic lamp would be more "natural"- they would have normal day/night periods, and they (probably)? would not be eating at night if they were under a broody hen, whereas they are under the lamp. Will all this eating and activity at night predispose them to nutritional problems? I am afraid that if I just take the food away at night with the infrared lamp left on they will peck each other instead.
I am feeding a higher protein turkey starter (28%)rather than regular chick started, as recommended by the ALBC. I did not find any references to restricting the feed intake when on higher protein, but I believe that for the meat hybrids food restriction is the recommended practise. Any thoughts?
Posted by: Redcap

Re: Ceramic heaters in brooders vs. infrared lamps - 05/09/15 04:47 AM

I combine infrared and dark emitter (dark spots) and increase the dark period after the first week every day by 2h, so that the chicks have after 10 days 8h dark period and 16h red light for the first 6 weeks. That's the light period of summer. Later in summer I reduce red light and dark spots and release them to the natural day light and temperature rhythm.
Posted by: Robbie

Re: Ceramic heaters in brooders vs. infrared lamps - 05/09/15 04:52 AM

Thanks redcap, that's interesting, I never thought of using both. Sounds like a very good plan!