brooder coop

Posted by: SDWGame

brooder coop - 03/04/13 06:35 AM

I am building a movable booder coop for hen and chicks.
Is it practical to consider 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth for the bottom of the entire coop to provide security or is the material unsuitable for chicks or unsuitable for other reasons. I can move it often as it will only be 3' x 5' x 2' tall with an enclosure in one end. I will have it in the fenced yard near the house so predators may not be a great problem digging under. In that case, would an open bottom be more satisfactory than hardware cloth or solid bottom with wood chips? Thank you for your advice.
Posted by: CJR

Re: brooder coop - 03/04/13 11:18 AM

As long as you can close them in safely at night, you will be pleased with a moveable coop while the chicks are small. I have 9'x9'x 6' pens with the 1/2" hardware cloth, 2' width around the lower edge and regular chicken wire up higher and one pen has fiber glass roof, the other chicken wire, but I have to add netting for sunshade on that one. I like them on green short grass, no wire flooring ever! Birds are moved back into their houses for the night and out again the next day, after dew is dry. They learn to go in an out to their own pens in just a few days of carrying them back and forth. You will find the chicks outgrow the small pen quickly. Good luck, CJR