When To Expect First Eggs

Posted by: Anonymous

When To Expect First Eggs - 08/24/04 05:30 PM

This has probably been asked dozens of times...but my Silver Wyandottes (5 of them) are coming up on 5 months old. Should I be watching for their first eggs?

They'll all strong, healthy hens that seem interested in the nest boxes I have put up at the end of their coop.

Too early?

Thanks
Burt
Posted by: CJR

Re: When To Expect First Eggs - 08/24/04 05:49 PM

If they are showing interest, it won't be long. Place an egg in one of the nests, if you want to--some people use plastic easter eggs or golf balls, but I use real eggs, if I feel like doing anything at all for pullets. Write on it, so you will not confuse it with a fresh egg, and toss it after the girls begin to lay in those nests. Exciting time. CJR

Re: When To Expect First Eggs - 08/25/04 08:04 AM

hi burt I have some silverlaced wyandottes also that are about 6 months old and still are not laying. Im thinking since they are a heavier breed they start laying later.

Re: When To Expect First Eggs - 08/25/04 12:05 PM

Thanks for the information...I'm going to try the egg in the nest idea...
Plus...
Ash from Florida...My Wyondottes are pretty good sized so I'll keep my eye on things but you may right...6 months might be more like it.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Later
Burt

Re: When To Expect First Eggs - 09/25/04 02:52 PM

Since the forum seems to be as much for sharing success as asking questions...

My Silver Wyandottes are laying!!! Just a few weeks after posting my question about when to expect eggs...I'm getting 2-3 a day.

Needless to say I was pretty excited.

Just thought I'd share. Thanks

Burt in Central Ohio

Re: When To Expect First Eggs - 09/26/04 04:54 AM

Congratulations Burt! Isn't a grand thing!

Even though I have raised quite a few flocks of hens, each time a new flock starts to lay I get excited like it is the first time. My latest young flock are 17-week old barred rocks. I'm anxiously awaiting the first egg. Might be soon or in a month or two, but I am excited!

Enjoy your chickens and your eggs!!!!!

Re: When To Expect First Eggs - 10/01/04 12:36 PM

wow, that's so exciting!!
I won't be able to eat the first few eggs mine produce (medication), but I still can't wait! I'm going to try that egg-in-the-nest trick, since my girls are coming up on 7 months now.
Posted by: Jam Master J

Re: When To Expect First Eggs - 10/01/04 01:39 PM

I have 4 RIRs that were 5 months last Tuesday. On Sunday one of them started laying eggs and hasn't missed a day yet. The first one was layed on the coop floor, and since then they have all been in a nesting box.....

Can you say CARTWHEELs and BACKFLIPS???