How do I know when my eggs are fertile

Posted by: Anonymous

How do I know when my eggs are fertile - 05/28/03 09:58 AM

I have 3 easteregg araucanas and just got an araucana rooster. I haven't noticed him doing his "job". He was the low rooster on the totem pole at his last home and wasn't allowed to perform because of the dominant rooster there. I am thinking he hasn't figured it out yet. I have had him about a week. I've got my incubator and I am ready to go I just don't know when to start. Any helpful hints?
Posted by: Rob2

Re: How do I know when my eggs are fertile - 05/28/03 11:19 AM

Well he is the cock of the walk now and will take care of business. Start savin your eggs now.I have never seen my hamburg bantam tread a hen and am getting a near 100% hatch .

Re: How do I know when my eggs are fertile - 05/28/03 11:23 AM

Thank you very much. I also did a search on this and I will candle them after a bit to make sure I'm not wasting time. Great site!And I love the new forum. I didn't feel so stupid asking such a beginner question.

Re: How do I know when my eggs are fertile - 05/28/03 12:42 PM

You can also crack an egg open to look at the germ spot. It's a little white spot on the yolk that is about the size of a pin head. If it's white and sorta bunched together, the egg isn't fertile. If it look like a transluscent circle; sort of a cloudy center with a light white outline, then it is fertile.
Posted by: Aram Seattle

Re: How do I know when my eggs are fertile - 05/28/03 01:53 PM

I would go with MonarchzMan. BC Breeder had excellent pictures on his website describing what a fertile yolk looks like. Check it out.