lopsided chicken

Posted by: T. Yaap

lopsided chicken - 08/20/05 01:34 PM

One of my Americaunas is lop-sided. She seems overdeveloped on her right side or underdeveloped on her left. she roosts with her left foot sticking out like she is laying on that bigger right side. She is at the bottom of the pecking order and the Alpha-chicken is constantly chaseing her and pinning her. Is this at all normal? Do I need to do anything?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: lopsided chicken - 08/22/05 09:56 AM

You might need to seperate her from the flock, since she is at a disadvantange and can't run away as easily as other chickens when she get bullied. It's possible she grew wrong, is she completely developed yet? It's probably been seen before, but I don't know of anything you can do about that.

Re: lopsided chicken - 08/22/05 11:20 AM

The "flock' is only four chickens. Do I need to build her her own coop? She just lays down when the bully gets annoyed with her. She is 6 months old and seems to be getting more lopsided as she grows. When I pick her up I can feel that the left side is definately less developed

Re: lopsided chicken - 08/23/05 01:48 PM

See if you can see a vet about it, they might know if there's a medication or supplement to help her even out her growth.
I think it's a good idea to build her her own little coop for right now, it can just be a wooden box w/ a fenced in space. I have one myself. I'll post a picture sometime soon of it.

Re: lopsided chicken - 08/24/05 03:35 PM

ok so I can put her in her own space but she is so attached to the others. Won';t she be lonley?

Re: lopsided chicken - 08/24/05 05:31 PM

Is there another hen you have, low on the pecking order, that would be able to keep her company? You'd be able to put her by herself - she'd be fine - but if you want to, you can put another in with her.
I got a picture of my mini coop: