Feeding fruits and vegetables

Posted by: Anonymous

Feeding fruits and vegetables - 06/02/03 08:14 PM

I was reading on the board and saw about feeding grass clippings but what about vegetable scraps or fruit scraps (potato and apple peelings)? Also in my last post I said 2 Barring Rock hens - but is actually Barred Rock. confused

Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables - 06/03/03 03:49 AM

They love grass clippings and leafy like vegtables like lettuce and spinach. I have heard that they like potato pealings as well.
Posted by: Susie

Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables - 06/03/03 04:34 AM

Your Barred Rocks will love all sorts of fruit and vegetable scraps. Mine are very fond of tomatoes, *cooked* carrots (I buy these by the case in winter and pull out a can a couple of times a week), pods from my fresh peas I'm picking, lettuce, apples....gosh, just about everything I guess. But they do have individual tastes so you'll have to experiment to see what they like. I don't think I have any that will reject tomatoes though. smile

Susie

Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables - 06/03/03 06:54 AM

Mine get VERY excited about tomatoes! They also love strawberries and watermellon!! They don't seem to get too excited about vegetables though.

Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables - 06/03/03 08:27 AM

nota bene=once you feed the birds vegetables- dont expect them to be able to free range near a garden

Re: Feeding fruits and vegetables - 06/18/03 01:11 PM

I was wondering this, guess I'll have to give my ROO a little watermelon tonight :p