shipping

Posted by: Anonymous

shipping - 07/21/03 06:26 AM

I've noticed that a lot of people will ship chickens to you if you live a long ways away. How exactly is that done; i mean, the postal service isn't really the sort of people i would want handling my chickens.Do you have to have a licensce?
Posted by: Rob2

Re: shipping - 07/21/03 09:34 AM

I have shipped poultry, chickens and ducks, to several states with good success. Permits are not required at this time but that could change. Cant ship bireds when temps go over 85 deg.F. I expect more regulations and difficulties in the future, 1 reason being, people dont want to follow the rules. As everything else, a few will spoil it for everyone.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: shipping - 07/21/03 12:07 PM

Can you ship mature birds?
Posted by: Graciel

Re: shipping - 07/21/03 12:25 PM

Yes, you can ship mature birds as long as they weigh less than 25#. That means an adult turkey or perhaps goose is out. They have to go Express Mail and it's quite expensive, but not outrageous on started young birds where you might ship five or six at once and the weights are low.

They also have to be shipped in special USPS approved boxes. There are a couple of manufacturers, one of which is Horizon boxes.

Jennifer

Re: shipping - 07/21/03 04:44 PM

Large geese are shipped. I know Holderreads ships them. I shipped a mature Ancona duck for about $35 to Maryland, a quad of mature hams were about $75. Plus box cost of from $10 and up. Shipping on a goose can run about $80. I think post on 10 pigeons was $35 or $45.
Posted by: CJR

Re: shipping - 07/22/03 10:12 AM

All of my bantams are mailed Express Mail--all over the country and to Alaska. I do not mail baby chicks--most are about 4 mos old or older. Trios of 4 mos old birds can go in one box. A male with a great tail has a box to himself. Otherwise pairs can go together, but not if the hen is laying. And better not to send laying females--as going without water is VERY hard on the system, while producing eggs!! I would NEVER think of sending when temperatures are over 75f!!Both here and at their destination. It gets warmer in the box, especially if there are several birds in a box and if left on the tarmack for a while before loading on the planes, can get fierce, like in a parked car in 80+ degree temps. All of my April-June hatched chicks are not promised delivery until September, if cool enough. later, if necessary! Sometimes there are delays in airlines connections and the wonderful overnight delivery we used to have--seldom is possible. Last mailings, early June, have taken up to 4 days--cannot be hot--as I do put apples in the boxes, but 4 days without water during hot weather can be lethal! And proper boxes are a must! CJR

Re: shipping - 07/22/03 11:08 AM

Are you aware that the micro-barrier material may be removed when shipping chickens; that does allow for better ventilation. The material does need to be left intact when shipping pigeons.