Help, hen sat on eggs for 17 days and 7 chicks have hatched!

Posted by: Dutch Baby

Help, hen sat on eggs for 17 days and 7 chicks have hatched! - 06/09/08 06:20 AM

My silkie hen started setting on eleven eggs and now seven of them have hatched after 17 days. Im very happy, but not sure how to take care of them this being my first time. Should I take them away from the hen and bring them inside or should I leave them with her? any help would be great thanks!
Posted by: Stick Dog

Re: Help, hen sat on eggs for 17 days and 7 chicks have hatched! - 06/09/08 01:03 PM

Congratulations!! When my chicken hatched four eggs, I couldn't begin to tell you how excited and happy I was. They are SO cute.

My experience (very limited at best) was to leave them with the mom because she will provide shelter, warmth, and will show them what they need to do to eat and drink.

You don't say whether you have other chickens in with them or if she and her brood are by themselves. I separated my broodie hen once I decided to let her set on eggs so when they hatched, they were already by themselves away from the flock which is preferable because sometimes the other hens can get a little unnerved by the new chicks and end up harming them or even killing them.

You should also provide chick feed, and water that the chicks can drink but not fall into. You can find little metal basins that screw onto a Mason jar.

Also, keep their bottoms from getting pastie. Just check them and if they look like they're getting dried poo on themselves, use a warm cloth and clean them up. They won't like it but it's necessary.

You could also try a search on this topic. There has to be tons of information available.

Good luck and enjoy them. Good for you!!

Re: Help, hen sat on eggs for 17 days and 7 chicks have hatched! - 06/09/08 05:02 PM

Thanks! To answer your question she is in a fairly large coop all by herself she is in a small box that I made for her not long ago. She keeps the chicks netsled close by her, I have been feeding she and the chicks, chick starter they seem to eat whenever she does. The chicks are very cute and very curious! Thanks for all the help!

Re: Help, hen sat on eggs for 17 days and 7 chicks have hatched! - 06/15/08 05:45 AM

Here is a picture of her chicks.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2lsz2g6.jpg