withdrawal times for meat birds

Posted by: Anonymous

withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/20/03 04:07 PM

We got a new batch of broiler chicks and put them on broiler feed right away. Apparently it's medicated. What is the withdrawal time for medicated feed ... as in, how many weeks before butchering do we put them on a different feed, and what do we substitute?

Thanks!
Ann
Posted by: Bill Ludwig

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/20/03 04:37 PM

I think every medication or medicated food should have a withdraw time on the label mad . Of course they dont. Here is what I found in the Chicken Health Handbook; refering to feed medicated for prevention of cocci, "The medication has a withdraw time of 30 days, so if you raise meat birds, you'll have to find a non-medicated feed during the last month"

Since broilers are ment to be eatten I would think the feed store would have a non-medicated feed to offer confused
Hope this helps.

Bill
Posted by: Rob2

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/20/03 08:12 PM

I thought I read somewhere that there is no withdrawal when using amprolium.?

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/21/03 04:18 PM

rob

After re-reading the entire section, I do belive it was refering to amprolium. How ever just because its in print doesn't make it a fact. Any body else know?

Bill

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/21/03 07:23 PM

I think it was something about amprol. having to do with thiamine? and it was fooling the cocci, not really killing them? I cannot re-find the article. I just cant come up with the info.

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/22/03 05:00 AM

Are you talking about reading something on the Net? an article or site? I was being lazy ... I "could" go look but thought someone would know off the top of their head. Thanks! Ann

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/22/03 06:28 AM

yes, I read it on the net. I did a search on google using amprolium , got several sotes but not the one I thought I read. I guess I,m just not that ionterested to keep looking.
Posted by: Aram Seattle

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/22/03 06:48 AM

Just so you know, you can easily use gamebird feed on your broilers. It never has medication, so you should be fine. If the protein content is too high, feed them some bread or oats in addition. I use bread and scratch - it works. Good luck.

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/22/03 08:36 AM

Did a quick search for "withdrawal times for amprolium" and got quite a few links. Here is one that should help. withdrawal times for amprolium

Nichole

Re: withdrawal times for meat birds - 05/22/03 02:12 PM

Thanks Nichole

That would support what rob said he found. As I said, just because its in print, doesn't make it true. It may have been a misprint or Damerow's source could have been wrong confused Or it may have ment it takes 30 days for it to leave the system even if its not a danger.

Bill