eggs rocking.

Posted by: yes

eggs rocking. - 08/25/11 11:30 PM

Hi all, I'm a total beginner at chick raising, so please excuse the dumb question. One egg of mine has just now started rocking, how long does it usually take for the chick to hatch out?
Posted by: Wieslaw

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/25/11 11:48 PM

Welcome to the coop. It will hatch soon. How long have you been incubating? It takes normally 21 days of incubation for a chick to hatch.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 04:29 AM

thank you for the welcome. It's the 21st day today. I haven't had much luck so far with them.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 04:49 AM

Rocking is a good sign. It means it's alive.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 07:13 AM

there hasn't been much movement for a while. Shouldn't the chick be trying to break his way out of the egg on the 21st day? Is it common for some hatches to take longer?

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 10:18 AM

I do not know if it is common but it can happen, if the temperature was to low. How many eggs are you incubating ?

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 03:07 PM

I had 12, but 6 weren't any good. So only 6 now. They still haven't shown any sign of hatching.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 03:34 PM

Do you have something to candle them with? If not , you can check if they 'dance' when put in a bowl of hand-warm water.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 03:46 PM

I just candled the eggs. I'm not sure what I am looking for. I don't hear any cheeping. There is no movement.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 03:55 PM

The eggs all look the same. About two thirds dark, and the air sack.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 04:06 PM

On 21st day you should see the head in the air sack, or at least the beak pointing up. Have you tried with the 'dancing'?

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 04:26 PM

No I didn't try that. What do you mean by "dancing"?
If the temperature was low throughout incubation, is there still a chance of some hatching?

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 04:27 PM

There was no head to be seen in the air sack.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 04:54 PM

You fill a deep bowl with hand warm water(as warm as the egg), you put an egg gently into the water like a boat. You wait until there are no waves and the egg stands still in one place. Then if the egg 'jumps' on its own the chick is alive. If it does not move it is most probably dead.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 05:56 PM

I have been looking at pictures on the internet. My eggs look similar to those of a 17 day incubation. Could this water test harm the chick at this stage?

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 05:59 PM

I read on the net that "at day 17 the chick's head turns to locate under the right wing, & direct it's beak towards the air cell." Could this be the rocking I noticed yesterday?

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 06:12 PM

I just put another thermometer into the incubator. It is reading 36 degrees. I have upped the temperature. It's probably far too late for my chicks.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 06:47 PM

The water test will not harm your chicks.
Posted by: Foehn

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 07:32 PM

Low temperatures in the incubator, usually only delays the hatching as long as everything else has been ok. Give them a few days more.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 08:34 PM

OK. I will give them a few more day, and then try the water test.

Thank you Wieslaw, and Foehn for your help.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/26/11 11:04 PM

What was the humidity like in your incubator throughout the 21 days? Too much humidity and the eggs don't dry out enough which can lead to chicks "drowning" in the sticky moisture left in the egg. This usually happens when they start pipping, so can look fully formed, but wet and dead.

Wiselaw's water test you can still try, it won't contribute to the above statement.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/27/11 01:14 AM

The humidity was set to 45% for the first 18 days, and then 65%. There is one chick pipping now, and another egg is moving. I even heard a little cheep just now. All is not lost! Thank you guys for caring!

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/27/11 03:45 AM

That's great news. All the best for a good hatch.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/27/11 06:11 PM

I now have 3 pipping, and another rocking. I can hear the chicks peeping in the incubator.

It's funny, the first egg/chick, seems to respond to my voice. I look for a while, there is no movement, then when I speak, the egg starts rocking and he/she cheeps.

I hope they hatch OK. I love them already!

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/27/11 06:16 PM

I can see my first chick. The hole is larger. She's hatching!!

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/27/11 08:30 PM

This always gets me excited. I love baby chicks.
Posted by: Uno

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/27/11 10:32 PM

Hope all continues to go well! If you hatch again and you're not sure if the chick is alive or not, tap the egg with your fingernail. If the chick has broken into the air space but hasn't quite pipped the shell yet, your tap should make him peep. I tend to tap and listen, like sending little morse code messages.

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/28/11 02:06 AM

Two more chicks have hatched in the last half hour.

I will try again later next month. I have learnt a lot these past few days.

Next time I will calibrate the incubator properly. And I will know how to test for life in the egg, - the water test, - and now morse code.

Number two is very vocal, - he hasn't stopped cheeping since he broke out!
Posted by: Uno

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/28/11 11:31 PM

Congratulations Yes!

Just a note, chicks often do peep when they hatch. Once you put this last guy in with his buddies in the brooder, he should quiet down after a while. You will learn that the noise they make can tell you if there is a problem.

If my chicks get cold they start to yell. If one gets separated and can't get back, it starts to yell. If I hear no peeping at all I check to make sure they aren't too hot. If they are too hot they will just lay there limply and die. Healthy, comfortable chicks should make a quiet, sweet chirring sound. Every now and then someone will peck someone ele in the eye or grab their toe and then there is a squawk. Bot overall the sounds coming from your brooder should be quiet and content.

If you have a lot of loud, piercing cheeping, something isn't right OR there is a health problem or birth defect. One chick alone can also suffer from lack of cuddling (by nature chicks like to snuggle up to something) so if you have one lonely, screaming chick, give it a little stuffed toy to buddy up with. You will learn to use your eyes AND your ears to determine how your chicks are doing. Good luck!

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/29/11 02:12 AM

Thanks Uno,

I have 5 chicks now, and they are all together in the brooder. The Sussex, and the Welsummer take it in turns to sleep in one of the feed containers. So cute. Two of the chicks had splayed legs, so I had to hobble them.

The last chick, a Welsummer, didn't make it.

They're happy, - so am I!!!

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/30/11 06:01 AM

Congratulations! A WARNING: to hatch chicks can become an addiction!(believe me, I know )

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/30/11 08:22 AM

Yes I know. I'm already thinking about my next hatch. How long have you been breeding chickens Wieslaw? Do you have different breeds, or specialize in one or two particular breeds?

Re: eggs rocking. - 08/31/11 04:41 AM

I have been breeding for most of my life on and off. I have mainly leghorns in various colours and some mutts which perform other functions, like being broody all the time. I also have a few blue/green eggers.

Re: eggs rocking. - 09/01/11 06:58 AM

You don't find Leghorns to be too nervy and flighty?

Re: eggs rocking. - 09/01/11 03:55 PM

No,they and I we 'fit' together. It also depends on the line and where they are from. People often exaggerate, or have birds which have never been selected for good behaviour. I have had some docile browns, and additionally I crossed some from England into mine. They are even quieter. But I have one dark brown originating from the US, and she IS wild. They are only nervy if there is something new that suddenly pops up, for example I go with a wheelbarrow or something like that. And they are afraid of people they do not know(which is good).

Re: eggs rocking. - 09/01/11 08:42 PM

Wieslaw, my placid old Wyandottes get very alarmed at strangers also. They don't turn a feather at the lawnmower, but if I carry the red bucket through the yard, lookout!

Re: eggs rocking. - 09/01/11 09:00 PM

Wieslaw, it's good to hear the Leghorns are not as nervy as I thought. I like the look of the browns and blues. Leghorns are probably the best layers around as well.

Foehn,

"They don't turn a feather at the lawnmower, but if I carry the red bucket through the yard, lookout!"

Is there something special about the bucket? or just the colour red your Wyandottes are affected by?

Re: eggs rocking. - 09/01/11 11:57 PM

Not sure. Just think it is because it is different to what I usually look like, that they treat me like a stranger. frown

Re: eggs rocking. - 09/02/11 05:59 AM

That's very funny!
Posted by: faverric40

Re: eggs rocking. - 12/20/11 11:46 PM

Rocking is a good sign.
Posted by: henpecked

Re: eggs rocking. - 01/08/12 10:53 PM

I clicked on your link, faverric, and it's a soccer website??
Posted by: TommieAnyan

Re: eggs rocking. - 06/07/12 12:19 AM

Do you have something to candle them with? If not , you can check if they 'dance' when put in a bowl of hand-warm water.