Notification about new replies?

Posted by: Redcap

Notification about new replies? - 02/11/10 02:24 PM

So far I don't get notications about replies via email.

In the references I just can change the preference regarding PM'S.
Quote:
Do you want to be notified via email when you receive a private message?

Is there no way to get an instant preference for notifications about new replies?
Posted by: Moderator2

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/11/10 05:14 PM

I am checking into this. Hope to have an answer soon.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/12/10 07:07 AM

Redcap, I have learned many things while trying to answer your question. Most have nothing to do with your question,sorry. You can go into "Edit Preferences" and choose "By default should anything added to your watch list be e-mailed to you". You can add a topic to your watch list by clicking on "Topic Options" and selecting "Add to watch List". At this point I thought any new posts in the selected topic would be e-mailed to me. It did not work when I tried it. It took me until just now to realize I would not be notified of my own posts blush. So follow the above steps and you should be able to get e-mail notifications of new post by other members in your watched topics. You can manage your watch lists under "My Stuff".

Let me know how this works out for you.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/12/10 09:48 AM

I can't believe that this forum software requires you to choose each thread extra to the watch list to get notifications.

http://www.ubbcentral.com/features.php

Shall I ask for myself in the
http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html
to deliver you a solution.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/12/10 09:58 AM

I am not sure what solution you want. You do not have to choose individual threads. You can set whole forums as a watched forum for notifications.Enter a forum and select Forum Options to set notifications for posts in all threads within that forum.

Is this what you are looking for?

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/12/10 10:41 AM

I don't want to get notifications about each posting, just about each thread where I am involved. In forums with other software this is a default reference. There it is not necessary to add each thread manually to a watch list.

After editing my preference

there is the possibillity to make a hook below the text frame, but even that is a default preference with other softwares like phpBB or Burning Board. I can't believe that UBB Threads don't offer this feature.

PS: There is the next problem pictures won't be displayed ... first picture was http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8061/woliera.jpg

Strange now after 4 edits it is displayed
Posted by: Rhea Dean Carter

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/12/10 11:10 AM

Please do not post these large images in your posts. For those of us who have dial-up Internet connections, they take way too long to load. They also distort the horizontal width of the thread making it necessary to use the slider bar at the bottom of the screen to see the right side of the image.

Every forum isn't going to have every feature. I wish this forum had a built-in spell check feature, but that's not the case. We're just going to have to make do with what we have.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/12/10 11:24 AM

Sorry, I use currently a 10" Mininotebook, so I forgot the real size ...

A spell check You can get via Your browser ... so it works in a plenty of applications

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/12/10 11:40 AM

Redcap
Thanks for the clarification. I now understand what feature you want. I do not think it is supported but I will look further into the issue. I can see the convenience in having such an option.

For all, I use ie spell check. You can simply right click in any text box, such as the one I am filling now, and spell check it. For Internet Explorer users. http://www.iespell.com/

Re: Notification about new replies? - 02/12/10 02:12 PM

I fear there is no chance till UBB Thread introduce this feature.
I was so silly to register me at a german forum with the same software it's all as ever.
I can't still believe that I (as topic starter) get only a notification, when I think on the check mark after each posting, and before Yours, I didn't. Why it is possible to set an instant check mark reg. the Signature and not for the Notification ??
Quote:
()Add this thread to my Watched Topics.
(x) Add my signature to this post

I refered this thread to UBBThread and hope they improve their features.

You don't need right click to see typos with this for IE
http://www.ie7pro.com/spell-checker.html
it shows typos in the same way like word shows typos (with read underlines), then You can correct it via right click
The extension for Firefox work by the same way

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/14/11 08:11 PM

I have asked at the UBB community for support ...
http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/242587.html#Post242587
There is a solution for the problem.
Is there a chance to change our preferences to add topics to the watchlist by default after a posting in the future?
It seems to be easy!

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/15/11 04:44 AM

Looking into it.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/15/11 05:13 AM

Thanks, would be great ...!
Posted by: Henk69

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 01:26 AM

Good news.
I added javascript to the default footer.
The checkbox "Add this thread to my Watched Topics" is now default checked.
Tested in Iexplorer and Firefox.
Hope this helps... wink

What I don't know is if this has the desired effect.
So, someone reply to this post... wink

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 01:54 AM

Great, the hook is at the right place now. I removed it from the watchlist and will controll it after ...

Edit: It's in the watchlist again ...
Thanks a lot! cool

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 02:09 AM

And I got a mail notification!
Thanks for bringing this up.
Using the-coop.org will be a lot different now... wink

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 02:30 AM

Yes, it was worth to change it ... not to think at it to set a hook each time ...

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 04:19 AM

Many thanks to Henk for making the changes and thanks to Redcap for getting us the answers we needed to make those changes. smile

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 06:46 AM

Well, I did it another way. I don't know if the UBB community would approve... wink

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 07:10 AM

Well, there are another things ...
could You set searches for (especially user) postings to show previews of the postbodies on default, too?

And would it be possible to change/delete

Date Range

Maximum date range is 1 Year(s)??

Oh Yes, it is ... 10 years would be perfect!!

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 01:41 PM

I set search range to 10 years. We will try this. There was a warning that large search ranges could lock down forums during the search. IF this becomes a problem for users we may have to change it to a shorter time frame. Hopefully there will not be a large demand on this and it wont be a problem.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 01:52 PM

Now how is this notification working? I received an e-mail from this thread which contained Henks post just after mine but no others. I had no threads in my watch list but did have e-mail notifications ON in my preferences. Henks reply would have been (re: Moderator2) so in order to receive a notification does the poster have reply to your post and not use quick reply which by default is to the last post in the thread? Will all members be receiving notifications that the did not intend? Not sure this was the intended action??

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 02:26 PM

Well, I don't know, what Henk has changed finally, but I only get notifications for postings after the change of settings.
I miss the notification for the new post in the Redcaps thread, too. It has worked before.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 03:30 PM

I only check the flag, so the user doesn't have to do this when he replies.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 04:38 PM

I just received an e-mail notification for watched topic for Henks last post in this thread. I have turned off e-mail notifications in my profile but maybe not before Henks post was made. Could someone post another reply to see if I still get notified.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 05:06 PM

May I remind in this case to this ...
Originally Posted By: Redcap
Well, there are another things ...
could You set searches for (especially user) postings to show previews of the postbodies on default, too?

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 05:19 PM

Just received notification of Redcaps post and I have it turned off in my preferences. I take it to mean that everyone who posts will now be receiving e-mails unless the remember to un-check the box each time they post and going to full reply to do so. I do not think this is acceptable to force notifications if it can not be turned off by default by the user. Not to mention the increased load on an already slow system.

I thank Henk smile for his time and trouble but this will not work. frown

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/16/11 05:27 PM

Well, if I wouldn't want to get notification from a special thread, I would remove it from the watchlist.
But I still wonder how henk has resolved it, if he choosed another way than suggested at UBB Community?!

How much data traffic create a handfull poster?

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 01:56 AM

On quick reply there is no checkbox/flag to be checked hence my script has no effect then. wink
What happens: when you do a "full reply" the topic will be added to the watched topic list if you don't uncheck the said checkbox. This is logic, since you want to know what people answer to your post.
If you can't remove the topic from the watched topic list then that is another bug (for UBB).
The standard notification in forum software is to send only a notification the first time after you make your post or after you have visited the topic again. If our software doesn't do that, that is another bug too ... wink

The solution suggested by the UBB board was to modify the php script to set the checked property to "checked" by default.
This doesn't work for me since I can not access the php scripts.
What I did instead is add a standard footer to this/each php-page:

Code:

<script type=text/javascript>
if(document.getElementById("dofav")) document.getElementById("dofav").checked = "checked";  
</script>

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 02:12 AM

I also added the checkbox for the body preview.
The result for a search on myself looks a bit buggy too... wink
Again: another bug.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 02:13 AM

Who has access to scripts/newpost.inc.php ??

Originally Posted By: Henk69
I also added the checkbox for the body preview.
The result for a search on myself looks a bit buggy too... wink
Again: another bug.

Hmm, I see the hook in the search form, but if I click on Your posts I see still only the titles.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 04:04 AM

OK, I now better understand how this works. A user will only receive one notification for each post (that is checked) he or she makes in a thread. That is not too bad. I was afraid users would be getting large amounts of e-mails from threads they were no longer involved in. Once I am sure I understand this fully I can send out a global announcement to inform users how to manage this feature.

Redcap, None of the moderators have full access to the software.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 04:11 AM

When using the new preview "check box" in the search I did get "body previews", worked for me.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 07:25 AM

Seamonkey? Dude... wink

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 10:41 AM

I can admit when I am wrong blush, I was quick to make judgment on the Watched Topic default change. After spending some time with it I have learned that members can turn it off by setting their preferences to NO By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?
Yes No

However IF a topic watch has already been created with the default set to YES it must be edited within "edit topic watch list" even if preferences have been changed later to no. This is where I assumed the toggle was not working. Also, as Henk said, when using "quick reply" a watch list will not be created. So I see that the user has control over this feature and that satisfies my concerns. grin

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Henk69
Seamonkey? Dude... wink

The same with IE!

Re: Notification about new replies? - 04/17/11 03:30 PM

I just tried it again, I am using IE and it worked.

Are you using the drop down "Advance Search" from the top or are you using "Show users Posts" from their profile page. I am using the advance search and can not get the page results that you are showing but can get that page from user profile.
Posted by: mdenham

Re: Notification about new replies? - 06/18/12 12:26 PM

Hi fellows, I'm wondering did this topic ever get resolved. I've got email notifications turned on, i.e.:
- By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you? YES
I never receive mail notifications. I would like to in order to be able to repond quickly and efficiently to posts.
I've checked Spam/Undesired mail boxes in my mail client, but no luck.
Can any one point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 06/19/12 12:31 AM

You have to use the quote button. You see a checkbox there that is now automatically checked. A quick reply doesn't trigger the mechanism.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 06/19/12 05:24 AM

Or "Switch to Full Reply Screen" as Henk said, quick reply will not trigger a watch topic. If you are using Quote or Full reply and still not receiving notification check you personal settings in preferences.
Posted by: mdenham

Re: Notification about new replies? - 06/19/12 10:37 AM

I don't see what quote has to to with it. My fault - I must have misunderstood this thread topic. I was looking for an email to be sent to me for every time someone commented on one of the topics in which I have taken part - for example, when somebody responds to one of my remarks/questions etc.

Re: Notification about new replies? - 06/19/12 01:14 PM

I think you are understanding the topic of this thread correctly. In order to get an e-mail notifacation that a response to your post has been made, your post can not have been made using "Quick Reply" (the box at the bottom of this page is a quick reply) You must click on "Switch to Full Reply" or use "Quote". You will then see "post options" below the text box. You should see "Add this thread to my Watched Topics" checked. Now if your "Preferences" under "My stuff" is set to "Yes" under the heading By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?
You should receive a notice.