How could we breath life into this forum again?

Posted by: Redcap

How could we breath life into this forum again? - 02/22/18 01:42 AM

I thought the few remaining writers and readers could collect some ideas, how we could revitalize this Forum.
My main idea would be an email to all registered Users.
I think this Forum has started some time ... it should be possible to restart it again.
Probably it would be necessary, that the genetic area is "closed" for non-registered readers and Users who were non-active e.g. for more than 6 months.
I think it is not acceptable, that people collect knowledge here to carry it to other Forums, without contributing here.
An other way to make the wealth of knowledge available on a "fair trade basis" could be to take money.
This would be also an option to finance the future of the Forum and the change to another safer and more comfortable Forum Software.
This Forum is an example with paying members. They were using my favorite Forum Software Invision Power Board in the past, but changed to the free Forum MyBB.
http://www.poultrychat.com/showthread.php?tid=16752
Posted by: CJR

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 02/23/18 09:49 PM

Hope for some response! This forum has given so much to many.
Posted by: Moderator2

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 02/24/18 10:16 AM

You are correct that we get thousands of views from non-members. I can make individual forums not viewable for non-members. I would want to keep forums such as health and management open to all in order to help those who are new to poultry and unsure of what they need to be doing.

I would like to hear suggestions on this. Should we close forums to non-members and if so, which forums?

I will look into our ability to email members in mass in order to invited them to come back. I would like suggestions on what we would say to them.

I am open to other suggestions.

As I have told you all before, I am limited in what I can do. If it can be done through the control panel I can do it but many thing I do not have access to and the board owner I have not spoken with in years, yes I said years!

Many thanks to those who are still here and active!

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 02/25/18 09:18 AM

I can not find a way to send mass emails to members. Moderators can view members email addresses through the edit member option. If we had a list of members we wished to contact and a moderator who would take the time to contact each one, it could be done.

Many years ago we had a big problem with too much social chatter. It caused many problems on the board. Today there are so many sites dedicated to social interaction that people do not use boards like this for that purpose. With that in mind, is it time to rethink the policy. Would members check in and participate more if we added a forum for social interaction? We would keep the forums dedicated to topic but add a place where members could discuss other interests and get to know more about each other. Please tell me what you think.
Posted by: Henk69

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/07/18 11:32 AM

control panel > member management > view/edit members > button submit (lists all users) > scroll to bottom > set "Action" to "Email", set "All Members or Selected Members?" to "All Members in Search" > button "Perform selected action" > set "Available email options" to "Send mail directly to members" > button "Generate emails" > enter subject and body text, consider the "BCC" checkbox because all emailees might see each others email addresses else > button send mail

If you want to practice feel free to add me, and yourself eg to test the BCC setting. O, don't choose "All Members in the Search" then

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/07/18 04:25 PM

Got it. Thanks Henk.

So we can send a mass email. Any suggestions for what to include in this email?

There are 2498 registered users. I am sure many of the emails on file are no longer valid. Some will go to spam folders and I would not send to members who registered and never posted. Even so a few hundred should hit the in boxes of members.

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/10/18 05:13 AM

And appreciation may be low wink

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/11/18 04:04 AM

Listen to your "flock" more. Normal users can not participate with this discussion wink
Posted by: KazJaps

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/12/18 06:53 PM

Ok, I tested posting from Board Guidelines forum, it didn't work....

Anyway....
So my concern is that if specific forums are not made visible to visitors (including on the forums front list page), it may have the opposite effect and reduce participation &/or reduce new people to join. How are new people going to know a forum exists when it is completely hidden (except maybe a search engine result or an old link, or word of mouth)?

This forum set-up is very different to Facebook groups, where even closed FB groups have a summary front page so you have an idea if you want to apply to join the group or not.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/12/18 07:09 PM

Ok, I just tested after I logged off (& closed browser) whether I could Google search for old topics in the genetics forum & whether I could access old genetics threads. The result - yes, I could bring up old genetics threads without being logged in.

So.... Making the genetics forum link / front index page invisible to anyone not logged in or not a member does not stop someone accessing the genetics forum old threads (by direct links or search engines).

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/12/18 10:33 PM

Kaz, thank you for your input and taking time to try posting in the other forum. I have made the Genetics forum visible to all again but, guests can not read posts.

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/12/18 10:41 PM

Thanks to a suggestion from KazJaps I have made the Genetics forum visible to all again. They can see the topics list but when they click on a topic it requests that they log in.

All members should be able to post to this thread now. Sorry for the confusion that kept some from posting here.

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/12/18 11:55 PM

Great, well done, Moderator2!

And - I can post in this Thread again.
Posted by: dingsda

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/13/18 12:55 AM

I agree with Kazjaps.

This forum is the best information source worldwide, and it took a huge blow when it lost most of the pics. Now we are doing the excact same, because all links to it, be it from google or other forums, are now rendered useless too. People now run into a login area instead of information, and will go away.

Some of the most appreciated inputs on this forums stem from scientist, and a scientists aproach is that information should be shared. It saddens me to see that some people here want to leave the forums scientific approach to knowledge and make it exclusive... to whom?

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/13/18 04:49 AM

I am browsing thru the control panel to see the possibilities for the forums. Noticed I can add an iframe to the bottom like the one for Mercy Corps.
Is there anything worth showing down there?

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/13/18 05:16 AM

What is Your suggestion, how this forum shall survive?
If everyone can leach scientific information, without contribution to survive this forum, this forum will be dead in a few months.
Just look at the participation rate of the last months.

My suggestion is that only members who pay can have access to the genetics area (in analogy to Poultry Chat).
With this money we could have an own server for pictures, videos, PDF files - to save them longterm ("eternal").

I would be ready to pay for the access to all these information and timeless saving of pictures, videos or PDF files (with pleasure!), even I have contributed many things the last Years for myself.

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/13/18 07:05 AM

I did a test with some custom ubbcode.
For instance to print a punnett square or a pedigree.
Can not do that on facebook wink

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/13/18 07:26 AM

12 Points for UBBCode ... or does this work with other Board Softwares aswell?
Would You like to test it with IP.Board - Henk?
https://invisioncommunity.com/demo
Posted by: dingsda

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/13/18 07:33 AM

I can't tell you the reasons, why people quit to post, but it is a normal process in any forum. The loss of pictures was a huge downer for sure, but many valued users quit posting here long before. A forum can only keep alive, when it has a steady flow of new people. New people don't join a forum when they can't see why they should.

I often link or advertise this forum, when I talk to poultry people, so that they not just read here, but hopefully join the discussion. But even if people are interested, they often don't feel they have the expertise to contribute. It might need a year or two in such a high level forum. But setting this forum to 'not public' I can just quit doing this now.

Building 'clubs' with limited access is what you have everywhere in poultry breeding. No communication between groups or to outsiders, because some people want to keep all knowledge to themselves, to the group... this forum was refreshing different, and I alway had the impression that this was the intent of this forum and the people contributing here.

I agree that the picture part is a problem. To get server space and host the photos would be best, but you need money or you have to allow advertising. After what happened with photobucket people fear that just using any other hoster could soon end in the same way.

When you use the term 'leach', do you have any insight, that information from this forum is used to gain money with it? I guess you would not adress normal poultry breeders as leachers, when they just want to get information about poultry genetics?

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/13/18 07:58 AM

I can tell You why they prefer to post on BYC or on FB.
There is an bigger audience.
I did my decision in the past - against huge forums with many DAU Users, who believed they were all-knowing.
At least I hate Threads with hundreds of senseless comments like on BYC.
I want read postings with learning potential - or productive discussions. And this is normally possible on this Board
I think it is no fair play to collect here the informations and play the "wise guy" on another Board with this knowledge.
Even worse is to link to a posting ... And while doing so - This forum shall die?
If the poultry addicts wants to get "smart" in chicken genetics, they shall take part here.

Again, I think PoultryChat.com is the best Example how we could get enough money, for the Preservation of the content of this Forum - no matter, if text, picture or other files.

Personally I would spend 300 Euros as initial investment for a new (safer) Forum Board with a better search machine and other comforts.
My favorite Board software is since Years IP.Board, but maybe there is a better solution in the meanwhile?!

Furthermore I would try to transfer the content of the Old Forum to this (future) New Forum Board. Maybe Kazjaps would be ready to help (e.g. with deleted pictures which she has possibly saved)?

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/13/18 01:36 PM

If someone wants to test the IP.Board.
This test version is available for the next 120 hours.
http://c111133.try.invisionpower.com/
User name: admin
Password on request via PM.

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/13/18 02:34 PM

For now all information on this board is still open and free. Guests will just have to register to view topics in the Genetics forum. Once registered they may be more inclined to participate.

This board has always tried to be welcoming to members at all levels of experience while trying to keep true to fact and topic without the senseless comments that Redcap has pointed out exist on other boards. This is why we get some of the best poultry people here. It is a tricky balance. For now we will try a few things and see if any work.

If some members wish to start a new board, more modern with photo hosting and more, I understand and I would back allowing information from this board to be copied to that board. However I do not think our owner and sole sponsor will be updating this board.

This board has its limitations but has always been here for us at no cost and we have Loren Hadley to thank for that!

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/13/18 03:01 PM

It's not as easy, as You think.
I could convince Loren Hadley to change to IP.Board in May 2015 (I'll send You a screen shot of an Email from Loren Hadley by PM).
But I couldn't convince Henk to make the migration from UBB to IP.Board (and only under the condition that Henk or another Forum member of his trust would do this migration and that I would collect the money for these 400 - 600 Dollars cost by Donations, Lauren had had ordered the Board license). But Henk considered this Forum already there as dead, if I may be so indiscrete. So the project Board migration was actually dead, for the first, but maybe I could convince Loren once again to let make the migration by a professional, if I can collect/provide the costs for it.

An alternative to Donations would be an annual Coop Support membership for 10,15 or 20 Dollars ... similar to PoultryChat.

The more members we could recruit, the cheaper we could make the annual fee.

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/13/18 04:13 PM

It would be good to hear from more members.

I always thought some banner ads would generate income for the board. Even with the low participation rate the board still generates a high number of views. Views and clicks are what bring in the money.

Re: How could we breath life into this forum again? - 03/13/18 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Moderator2
Thanks to a suggestion from KazJaps I have made the Genetics forum visible to all again. They can see the topics list but when they click on a topic it requests that they log in.

All members should be able to post to this thread now. Sorry for the confusion that kept some from posting here.

Thanks M2. It works much better now, can see genetics forum & index topic links.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/13/18 10:18 PM

I agree completely dingsda. After all it is "The Classroom" @ The Coop, why this forum is so special. Like sitting in a lecture theatre or tutorial group, with access to a wonderful library of scientific knowledge. I would hate for this educational resource to become only accessible to those who can pay.

To be honest RedCap, if there was a membership fee, I probably would never have joined.

Remember, there is competition, plenty of forums that are free (including ones with free image hosting). Yes, a major pain with Photobucket's change of policy, now charging fees. What was the result? The majority of people leaving Photobucket for other image hosting websites. And the same would happen with The Coop if fees were charged.

As for ads, please not to the extent of BYC, as I would be gone again. Not as bad as Photobucket, but BYC getting there - often freezes my laptop (as does Facebook).

I was happy the way things were with The Coop. Yes, more participation would be great.

I was thinking of asking permission to share genetics info of members from Facebook groups here, if they didn't want to join & post themselves. As a way to store more securely genetics information in permanent threads. But there is a lot sifting to get to the gems smile I would leave many Facebook groups altogether if someone was summarising all scientific poultry genetics information & posting here at The Coop - that would be heaven smile

-----------------
P.s. - I deleted, then moved this post to this genetics thread, as I don't usually go to other The Coop forums, so wanted it to show up here too.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/14/18 12:41 AM

For me the Coop is totally different to other Forums.
It is a concentrated collection of knowledge, a wealth of knowledge.
I compare it with Wikipedia and Archive.org - These services only survives through Donations. Donations were my original idea for the Coop. But - these platforms have a huge audience and consequently, The sum of 2 or 5 Dollar donations are enough to reach the target.
But do You believe that this voluntary donation solution would work with Coop, too?
I pay for my mail.com (GMX) Email address since February annually $19.99, as only the Premium service offers POP3 forwarding to the Email client since a few months. Stupid, but it is less than $2 a month for a useful service. I can get easier in contact internationally - without ending in the Spam Folder like with my german Email addresses - and I hate it also, that I need to log in at the web client to read and send Emails - It can happen that I don't log in for up to two weeks, so if e.g. Kazjaps would ask me for a Paper, I would hate to let wait her (or others)so long for a response. At some Sites even only .com Email addresses are/were accepted.
So I need the useful this Service, and therefore I am ready to pay for it. Similar I wouldn't pay for other Forums $10 annually , but for the Coop it would be worth for it ... to keep alive the access, even if the Forum will be dead, some day. And it seems to be inevitable, if we can't change the attitude of appreciation of the thousands visitors of the Genetics sub-forum.

In case of the Coop:
It would be possible to combine the membership fee with a reward in form of Amazon Coupons or free membership for very engaged members (e.g. with 50 or 100 positive rated postings - for this case we would need a rating option for postings).

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/14/18 05:19 AM

Redcap, I don't understand. Have I missed something, is there a new imminent threat that The Coop is about to close, old threads about to be lost, if funds are not raised?

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/14/18 05:43 AM

What shall we expect, what happens with a dead forum ... an outdated forum software? Why shall Loren Hadley keep a dead forum alive? It only generate costs for him. He isn't engaged in Poultry keeping since many Years. Furthermore ... what happens, when he die some day? He is no more the youngest.
As far as I know, he started the Classroom in 1995.
I think it would be to late to think about the rescue of the forum, when it is offline.
The problem of the deadly silence here in the Forum is just an early omen. In the last Years many other good poultry forums disappeared without warning. I can remember at least three british forums.

One Forum with interesting discussions about genetics and domestication with David Scrivener and friends on the homepage of Richard Dawkins diseappeared aswell. There is no chance to save these information anymore ... Away ... Gone. And no chance to get in contact with these guys and ladies again.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/14/18 04:29 PM

Hello all!
I have been with the Classroom longer than any current active member with the exception of our beloved CJR smile I have seen this conversation several times before and assure you that no big changes will happen quickly or without the consideration of all our members.

On the topic of more active membership. I will continue with the Genetics forum being closed to Guests for a few weeks. During this time I will monitor new membership and if that new membership posts. If there is no increase in active members I will open the topics to public view again. Next I am working on an email to our membership list. I will make it clear that it is a one time email and we will not continue contacting them. I will offer to help any member who needs help logging back in to their old account. I am sure many have forgotten their log in info.

On the topic of upgrading the board. Even if we keep our current platform, UBB Threads, it needs updated. It is years behind on updates. My concern is not with new features but venerability and obsolete operations. I doubt many of you know that every new registration is approved or declined manually. To the best of my knowledge 99% of those are done by Foehn. We owe her a huge THANK YOU. This is because our automated screening (CAPTCHA) is so out dated that the BOTs and spammers come right through. If not for doing this manually the board would be swamped with spam postings.

How to pay for updates. I really don't know how much we could get for some banner ads. Kaz, I do agree that we would want to keep them simple static ads (no flashy animated things) to not cause problems for those of us with poor internet connections or older computers. Most everything on the internet is paid for through advertisement and not member fees. I would not pay to be here.

On that comment maybe I should explain why I am here confused . To some of you I am that guy who comes out from under a rock every now and then wink I was asked to be a moderator by Loren and Dr. Bruce Smith (moderator1) many years ago. At that time the board was growing. In time Bruce drifted away but the board was thriving so moderating took much of my time. I slowly posted less and less in the forums as Bill Ludwig. I lost contact with Loren and was left holding the keys to the Coop shocked. I have brought in several moderators over the years but eventually they move on and it is just me again. Our current moderators have been with us for some time and I thank them for that.

The Classroom is truly unique. Because of who we are I don't know if we can expect many more active members. When members started leaving for other boards I lost many friends. The other boards are full of fluff and nonsense crazy . Most people do not like being challenged. In the classroom when you post you are expected to back up your claims not pass around myth and rumor. This keeps many people away.

Could the Coop vanish? It could. Many things could happen or not. The software could crash and not be rebuilt, something could happen to Loren and with no directive the Coop could just be turned off. A virus could destroy the data.

If you read all this, Thanks for your time..LOL This is my view point and my opinion. As I have said in the past, I have no authority or ability to make big changes.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/14/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Moderator2
Most everything on the internet is paid for through advertisement and not member fees.

That's not really true. Many Forums offers Premium memberships.
Even at BYC You "can" pay ...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/byc-premium-feather-membership-upgrade-pfm.47730/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/account/upgrades
But they have also sponsors ... but a Forum is only interesting for them, when it has a plenty visitors.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/byc-sponsors.47707/

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/14/18 05:18 PM

I stand corrected smile. Obviously some people would pay for upgraded service. I would not, but that's just me.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/14/18 05:54 PM

For me it is a difference to pay for the access to a knowledge base (I buy e-books, pay for Private Tunnel Proxy and 50GB download space to be able to download e-books from Hathitrust - this is only possible with an US IP-address), or to pay for "silly" gimmickries/gadgetries like blogs/advertisements,longer permission to edit postings (e.g. six months - after a few days, it is senseless, as noone will realize the changes).
Posted by: Wieslaw

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/15/18 02:31 PM

I agree with Kazjaps too. Personally I'm not very active at the moment, because I got a NEW JOB! and have to learn some things.
In history of this forum there were shifting periods of activity and periods of practically total silence. When I joined the forum several years ago, some of the old threads had only 4 or 5 hits. Now the lowest number of hits for a thread is 95. So it changes.

I'm not quite sure if this forum needs new members whose only contribution would be "what a cutie". This forum needs members who would like to experiment. As a moderator, I have not "persecuted " anybody for writing something funny in addition to the actual posting.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/15/18 06:12 PM

I think it would be interesting show Poultry Forums which disappeared from WWW. And this is only a selection of the gone Forums.

http://crestedbreeds.com/yabb/YaBB.pl (AUS)
http://www.poultryconnection.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid= (USA)
http://www.poultryyouth.com/forum/ (USA)
http://www.ultimatefowl.com/ (USA)
http://www.pekinbantams.com/community/index.php(GB)
Woliera.com (POL)
http://www.richarddawkins.net/forum/ (GB) Here it happened a really exciting discussion with David Scrivener and other Chicken addicts like Scott F..
www.plumage.eu (FR)
http://www.gallinette.net/forum/index.php (FR) freezed in since Years - really sad!

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/17/18 02:42 AM

Do we have any idea how much diskspace we have? I enabled administrators to upload pictures on the forum "Board guidelines and issues" up to 10kb.
In full reply screen there is a link "File Manager" now
Example:

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/17/18 02:49 AM

This would mean we could use the-coop like the documents area on kippenjungle, provided we have space

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/17/18 03:21 AM

I have no idea how much we are aloud. 9.77kb per file is small amount. It may not be easy to get your photos down to that. It is another option though. We don't really have activity in the other forums but we could limit it just to the genetics forum and caution members not to post more photos than needed.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/17/18 05:13 AM

I can adjust the filesize up to 32Mb. I also can limit the number of uploads per post. This was just a test wink

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/17/18 05:35 AM

Now that is interesting! If we can adjust the file size no larger than needed for a clear, viewable picture and limit uploads we might have a real improvement here! My guess is, if we use too much storage or Loren gets a big bill eek we will hear about it from some one. I don't know how these thing work. I would hope we would not get shut off if we reached our maximum storage. Maybe a warning would come first.
Posted by: RuffEnuff

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/23/18 03:37 AM

hello from the dead.

I have not been on here since 2012 when I could not log on no matter how I tried. I tried a different ID when I moved house and changed computer and I managed a new ID but it was not the same and I lost interest.

today for some unexplained reason my old ID logged in. after 6 years!

can I offer some ideas to help with this forum?

first I think there should be a like button for posts. this helps in 2 ways, 1. people feel appreciated when someone has bothered to like your post and 2.it allows someone to appreciate your post without having to say anything else....it means the post is being read and appreciated.

second. with the recent problem with facebook on their giving out people's personal information to other sources plus giving out the friends personal information, FB is in the poo. suddenly I think people are thinking that they do not need it, what did we do before?
on this forum there are wonderful ways to communicate that FB does not have. I can change my font colour and size for a start. I can follow topics, I can bring back topics. I can use videos I have on you tube.

I don't know why I was thrown into the wilderness for so long. I don't know why you let me back in but I can tell you this forum can work and I can help. in my years in oblivion I have learned more skills and have learned how to get to people.

I believe this forum had too much control by one person who was quiet rude to people. I think it can work again. you just have to make it exciting and fun.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/23/18 03:19 PM

Sorry you were unable to access the Classroom. I have added a post in this forum (trouble logging in) with a link that will work even if not logged in that will allow people to contact me. I have no idea where the Contact Us link goes, but it is never answered.

I don't know how fun and exciting things are but I have been working to make the site look more inviting and adding a couple new features.

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 03/24/18 02:08 AM

Hope you didn't refer to me, still here ... wink

Like the liking and from what I recall it can be done with the current software.
Edit: must retract this frown

And M2, I noticed that smile

Re: Re. Redcap's thread, posts not possible - 08/30/18 01:51 PM

Hello to all out there ...
I have to admit, that I wasn't very active due to the last months. And this ironically, after my trial, to discuss, how we could breath more life in this community. But - what shall I say ... obviously even in my life other things get more priority, than the theorical/science based poultry world ...

But as I realized it just now (again?) ... I want to ask it - this time.
After which category (date of topic creation? or what else?) are the topics sorted for? I find it very difficult to get an overview, what happened the last weeks/months, if topics with a final posting from 2013 or 2015 are mixed with these of the last weeks ...
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthread...&order=desc
I hope, You agree, that the date of final posting (as sorting category/order) would help to get easier an chronological overview. Would it be possible to realize this?

I wish You all some rainy days during the next weeks ... at least in Germany/ Europe the nature is totally in need for water. Honestly I wonder, that we hadn't already forest fires in my home territory (Black Forest) ... I can't believe that trickle rain a few minutes every few week, could prevent the worst case ... Surprisingly, our hens laid their eggs masterful mostly 4 eggs in 7 days (our Chicken Coop is located between trees, so the hens had it much more comfortable as many human beings - in heated up cities ... In fact this HOT summer was the main reason, that so many things had more priority.
Everywhere You had to sweat like a melting ice block ... Our sleeping rooms were finally the best place to stay for "the siesta day time" ... except the air conditioned car. Until yet, the people in our living area don't use air condition indoor. I guess, this will change ...