Bumblefoot

Posted by: Diana Jean

Bumblefoot - 03/22/07 10:45 PM

Hi,
We have a rooster with Bumblefoot. He was given to us, and I noticed immediately that he was favoring a foot, and over time it has gotten worse.
I did the "search" thing, and know that I should remove the callus. I've been running water on his feet every day, and putting stuff on to soften up the callus, but it's very attached to his foot. And, yes, I'm a woos :rolleyes: , and havent' gotten up the whatever it takes to pull the thing off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
DJ
Posted by: Jocelyn

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/23/07 03:45 AM

Can you fill a large can with pleasantly hot water and soak his foot 2 or 3 times a day? Chickens have long skinny toes/feet and the heat will probably penetrate enough. Since he's had it some time, it will be filled with solid pus...avian pus is a solid, not a liquid. Solid pus may never drain and may need to be resorbed...which takes months. There may be scar tissue which will produce stiffness. If it hasn't progressed up his leg and he's had it a while, his immune system is probably enough to deal with it without opening it up. if the callus is lumpy and has black areas, you could get some footrot stuff at the feed mill and paint that on once a day...formaldehyde diluted one to four with water used to be the drug of choice, but now they sell a copper based preparation that is less toxic...see what you can get.
Posted by: Susie

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/23/07 06:02 AM

I'd try the soak too. Pick up a bag of epsom salts from the drug store (cheap) and add some to the soak water. That should also help loosen things up a lot.

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/23/07 06:17 PM

Jocelyn and Susie,
Thanks for the reply.
I will try to soak his foot as many times a day as I can. The callus is very hard and smooth -- and very well attached! It looks like the infection is working it's way up his foot now, but am certainly going to soak as much as possible now. Will try the Epsom Salts as well as seeing what our local feedstore has to offer. Thanks again,
DJ

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/23/07 09:03 PM

Is his ankle swollen?

One time I treated bumblefoot with injectible antibiotics. Usually I haven't had to do that, but this one hen had a swollen ankle, so I knew the infection was really taking over by the time I found it. I used injectible Pen-G, which I bought at a ranch supply.

I know those spots can be really attached and they don't really like you picking it off, but I think it's the only way to go.
Posted by: Boobear7

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/25/07 01:45 PM

I pull the 'plug' out then give a little injection of Penicillian right into the foot, then I wrap it up making sure to give the pad of the foot some extra cushion. A few of my hens have had it and both of my roosters have. Doing it that way has worked well for me.
Its definately not an easy thing to do, and it doesn't help that they don't care for the treatment much either smile No matter what you do, you have to do something or you run the risk of the infection killing them.
Best of luck!!

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/26/07 02:07 AM

Thanks Susie and boobear7,
I soaked his foot today, but it's not looking good. I think I'll call around for the Pen-G. His ankle is swollen now, and the callus is really stuck on there -- I know, I'm a major woos! Thanks for the great replies.
DJ

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/26/07 05:37 AM

You're not being a woos! I've done it a few times and I cringe just thinking about it.

I do want to mention that bumblefoot is usually a staph infection, so protect yourself when you open up that foot of his. I like to wear rubber surgical gloves and then scrub like mad, just in case. LOL!
Posted by: Starbucks

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/27/07 07:28 AM

Susie
We have had a couple of cases of bumblefoot here. I was able to treat a hen with pulling the plug out and soaking the foot for quite sometime. Antibiotic ointment in the hole and wrapping up the foot to keep it clean. The rooster was different. He did not appreciate the spa treatment on his feet. We did the same for him soak, ointment, wrap. But also add Pen-G for a week. Our vet advised the dosage, Pen-G we got at Feed Store and syringes at our local Pharmacy for free. Hope this help.
Posted by: Rack

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/27/07 08:49 AM

Yep, I agree with Starbucks. I had to pull out the plug and filled it with antibiotic ointment then wrapped it up and kept it clean. An antibiotic shot would probably be necessary.

Once healed watch her carefully since mine came back again and had to redo.

Haven't seen since. Been a year or two since then.

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/27/07 03:43 PM

Thanks everyone,
I started the soak with Epsom salts, and it's looking better, though I feel like I'm not on top of it because I got sick! None of our feedstores out here cater to poultry, so am going to town tomorrow and see what I can get hold of. Thanks so much!
DJ

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/27/07 07:22 PM

DJ, I don't know what stores you have there, but I got Pen-G at Tractor Supply Company. It wasn't with chicken stuff. It was in the fridge with mostly cattle injectibles. If you don't have a TSC there, hit the best farm/ranch store you can find and start there.
Posted by: Jocelyn

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/28/07 02:11 AM

Foot rot stuff isn't in with the chicken stuff either. It's with the cattle and swine section usually. It can be very effective too, if the callus is not open enough to drain on its own.
Posted by: Starbucks

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/28/07 07:46 AM

DJ
You don't need specific "Chicken" Stuff. Like everyone said, Pen-G is for cattle,swine and poultry. I had to buy a big ole' bottle. But it worked everything else you can get a Walmart or your local pharmacy - Epsom salts, triple anitbiotic ointment or neosporene, gauze wrap, tape, even band-aids help to make alittle pad. Good Luck.

Re: Bumblefoot - 03/28/07 06:50 PM

You can also check with a local vet. They may even give you individual syringes with a long lasting Pen-G dose. You may have to try a few different ones smile
Just be sure that you keep Pen-G refridgerated or the live bacteria die and it no longer is effective.

Re: Bumblefoot - 04/08/07 12:34 AM

Thank you everyone,
Here, where we live, everything medical is for dogs and horses, but we bought penicillin and injected the rooster for a week. He'd begun to swell in both feet, but now he's looking and feeling much better. Thanks for all your help. smile
DJ

Re: Bumblefoot - 04/08/07 03:03 PM

Glad to hear he is on the up and up smile