Egg Bound Chicken? Please help!

Posted by: macdowall2004

Egg Bound Chicken? Please help! - 11/14/12 05:01 AM

I have an 8 month old Barred Rock. On Monday she was standing still in her area. I brought her in. She was unable to go to the bathroom. I managed to get her to expel a shriveled up soft shelled egg. She seemed better, eating and drinking so I put her back out with the others. Last night I noticed her crop wasn't full like the others so I brought her back inside. This morning she had not pooped at all overnight but expelled what looks like an egg without any shell at all. Watery egg goo. She is eating and drinking but not really moving around being her usual self. Help! What do I do?
Posted by: Maria Ricardo

Re: Egg Bound Chicken? Please help! - 11/14/12 09:51 PM

Sorry to hear your hen is not feeling well.

There's not much you can do except keep her warm and separated from the others. Food and water nearby. She may recover. Use the tincture of time.

How did you "get her to expel a shriveled up soft shell egg"?
Posted by: Foehn

Re: Egg Bound Chicken? Please help! - 11/14/12 11:34 PM

When hens try to pass soft shelled eggs, it does make them feel pretty unwell and they can take a few days to recover. If she has been lucky enough to expel all the egg, she will recover, although often when a hen breaks an egg internally they can end up with peritonitis from which they are unlikely to recover. Keep her indoors in the warmth and offer her food. Have water near also, but you can sometimes perk them up quickly by giving them tepid water which you need to dissolve a teaspoon of honey in. The sugar in the honey, will give them a boost of energy, which is sometimes all you need to get them interested in food & life again.

Let us know if there is any change, good or bad.