Fractured leg and lack of foot use...

Posted by: Shoofly

Fractured leg and lack of foot use... - 11/27/12 07:15 PM

So, this is my second post this evening. At the moment I have 2 sick chickens in the house but this one is less urgent.

Sooooo, I have a Shamo hen that is about two years old. We don't know what happened to her, but I found her unable to put any weight on her right leg about 2 weeks ago. I took her to my avian vet who immediately splinted her and I brought her in the house for limited movement while her injury healed. (An x-ray showed that she had some damage to the bone below her "elbow" but it was not broken and everything else looked good).
We removed the splint yesterday and found that the "elbow had become quite swollen. I would say that her leg is half again the size of her good leg and she is still not putting weight on it. The vet seems to think that she was working on an infection in there, so we put her on Sulfatrim and I am crossing my fingers the swelling goes down in the next day or two.
MEANWHILE, and here is where it gets interesting....After removing the splint, she is not using her toes in any way. They are warm to the touch, so we know that there is circulation, but from the "elbow" down, it is basically a dead limb. I can't get her to move the toes to grip or flex in any way.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to help??
The vet seems to think that it could be possible nerve damage, in which case, she may never get use of the foot. It could also be the swelling. He wants me to to do Physical Therapy with her by extending the toes and (hopefully) encouraging her to start using it....(this will be a first in my 8 years of chicken owning)

Does anyone else have any brilliant ideas?? Should I use ice for the swelling?? Honey salves?? Herbal nerve-stimulating tonics?? Anything is welcome. Thanks, Monica