Chicken bleeding, now unresponsive w/ heartbeat

Posted by: Jannell

Chicken bleeding, now unresponsive w/ heartbeat - 09/24/13 03:47 PM

Around 11 this morning I discovered my 4 month old Red Cap among my flock was bleeding alot from just above her left knee, where the feathers begin. I cleaned her leg, found the wound and applied a lot of pressure with gauze. When the wound was almost completely stopped bleeding, I wrapped her leg with gauze and tape and placed her in my hospital (dog carrier).
When I went to check on her an hour later she was lying with her legs straight out and unresponsive.
I checked for a heart beat with a stethoscope and found one. Her body was warm. I can't tell if she's breathing. She does seem dehydrated, by checking her skin under her beak.
She's on a heating pad on low, she has a towel on top. I pried her mouth apart and gave her about 4 drops of water with a syringe.
I don't know what caused the injury. She was wounded in this area before and it seemed like it was feather pecking, possibly from other birds in the flock.
Any suggestions for help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Jannell
Posted by: Foehn

Re: Chicken bleeding, now unresponsive w/ heartbeat - 09/24/13 09:40 PM

You are doing the best thing for her. Keep warm, and quiet. The biggest thing you will need to overcome is shock. Be very careful trying to put fluids into her while she is unresponsive. It is too easy to drown a hen. Even when they are fully alert it is necessary to be very careful. If she rallies, and is able to drink unassisted, disolve 1 tsp honey in a breakfast cup of tepid water and offer her that. The honey will give her a boost of energy, which may get her eating again.
best of luck
Posted by: jonnydot

Re: Chicken bleeding, now unresponsive w/ heartbeat - 01/10/14 12:51 AM

If you hold the bird upright and angle the syringe/dropper to the side of the beak and to the back and administer slowly this will avoid the Trachea,stop every now and then to allow for a natural swallowing reflex ,at this stage Electrolytes would be best and B group Vitamins to assist with stress relief .If you have it in your garden you could pick the Flowers from a St John's Wort plant (NOT St Johns weed aka mugwort) and mix with oilve oil ,it will turn red ,apply this to the wound to assist healing and as a anti bacterial and cover ,here is a Diy Electrolyte recipe Diy Basic Electrolyte Drink
By Jon Baldwin on Friday, November 1, 2013 at 6:59pm

Basic Electrolyte Drink

1 Litre of water

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. salt substitute (potassium chloride - available at supermarket)

1/4 tsp. baking soda, and

2 tbsp. sugar or honey

1 tsp molasses - optional

Additional notes:

Reference to a question of adding Magnesium and Potassium to mixture:

"Jon Baldwin - Add a quarter of a teaspoon of salt substitute to the above recipe this is potassium chloride,there are plenty of magnesium supplements available from health food stores that could be added ,I have one at home will post later the brand ...,However ,honey has aprox 2mg of magnesium per 100grams .You could add Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) maybe 1/16 of a teaspoon (needs citation),too much will have a laxative effect."

And more - this time on Molasses

"The above recipe is fine for electrolyte replacement ,the Honey was added for a energy boost (sugars) and a low level antibiotic ,a small additive of Molasses would boost B group vits and other minerals ,maybe a teaspoon?"
Comment