WHITE FEATHERS TURNING YELLOW

Posted by: Anonymous

WHITE FEATHERS TURNING YELLOW - 07/23/02 08:51 PM

WHAT CAUSES FEATHERS ON A WHITE CHICKEN TO TURN YELLOW OR OFF WHITE, IS IT MY FOOD OR TO MUCH SUN. WILL IT GO BACK TO WHITE?
Posted by: Big Boy

Re: WHITE FEATHERS TURNING YELLOW - 07/24/02 03:04 AM

My understanding is that it can be, in part, genetic. But, when I was in 4-H and had some White Wyandottes I washed them in bluing and they came out white as snow. So what do I know? Rokimoto, Leee, and the rest know the correct questions to ask to get you the information you need. What breed do you have and how old are they?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: WHITE FEATHERS TURNING YELLOW - 07/24/02 06:01 AM

White crested blue laced and black polish, there 3 months old and theier top knot just started turning off white. I'll try what the biueing and see what happens. Thanks
Posted by: Oatman99

Re: WHITE FEATHERS TURNING YELLOW - 07/24/02 06:14 AM

Dirt, too much sun, and corn will all turn a white chicken yellow. I know the sun will lighten other colors as well if the chickens are allowed to be outside in it a lot. I don't know if a moult will help get rid of it (it might if it's dirt or bleached by the sun)...I don't keep white chickens for that reason. Bleach would probably help (we use it with our cows' tails), but I wouldn't recommend it as it drys out the skin and feathers and very damaging to the animal. (they also lose that natural shine). Hope this helps.

Oatman_99
Posted by: Big Boy

Re: WHITE FEATHERS TURNING YELLOW - 07/24/02 08:50 AM

Thinking it over, you very likely need to do just the crests as the rest of the bird will probably be alright. The problem is that you cannot wash the same bird very often (just once or twice) in the show season as the feather quality will be weakened. Just washing the crests and then keeping them on bright straw a week or two before the show may be enough. I remember using a piece of silk cloth to rub down the plumage preparatory to the judging and using an oil-cloth to rub down the beak, wattles, and legs. It's been a long time. I think Murray McMurray used to have a little booklet or maybe even a short video on showing poultry. You also might check out Stomberg's Unlimited or the American Bantam Association web-site.
Posted by: Bill Ludwig

Re: WHITE FEATHERS TURNING YELLOW - 07/24/02 04:01 PM

The white part of the barring on my Dominiques turned yellow. Not evenly. They have just started to molt for the first time. First time for them and me. The new feathers are bright and white. My guess is the feathers get stained. I see it more under thier beaks and down the front of them so I think thier drinking water might have something to do with it. Our water is very clean. No iron. The ph is a little high. Dont know if any of this helps but thats my enperience with yellowing feathers.

Bill
Posted by: Rob

Re: WHITE FEATHERS TURNING YELLOW - 07/24/02 05:32 PM

An animal has to eat a lot of corn, or other red, yellow, and greens to effect the white. As an experiment years ago I fed a N,Z. White rabbit corn and another one for control was fed rabbit pellets. The one fed corn did turn an yellowish white but it got only corn and greens and it took some time, cant remember exact details. If you observe any color bird that runs in rgw sun and is in old feathering you will notice the colors are not as well colored. The mane and tails on my chestnut horses which are normally white, turn yellowish in the summer sun when on grass. rob