Keeping healthy during rainy season

Posted by: Anonymous

Keeping healthy during rainy season - 09/26/02 09:05 AM

Ok..I now that in a pen it's important to keep the shavings and such dry...what do you do in rainy weather? If the birds are outside in the wet run all day, will that make them sick? Then coming in wet and making the coop wet overnight...and if it's raining it seems silly to keep removing the wet shavings, because the new ones coming in will be getting a little wet in the process....just a thought while I'm sitting here looking at my rainy day.

Re: Keeping healthy during rainy season - 09/26/02 09:07 AM

That should read...Ok, I know...
Sorry typing too fast!
Posted by: Susie

Re: Keeping healthy during rainy season - 09/26/02 09:39 AM

I keep really young birds in on rainy days. However, I give the adults the choice and most aren't interested in being out in the rainy, damp weather anyway. I have a large coop so getting the shavings wet isn't really an issue for me. There are some who won't let their birds out on days when it rains. I do have a few that are quite content to be out when it's lightly raining and they mostly stay under the big shade trees but they do get wet. Yes, it can lead to some health problems but I have never had any trouble with adult birds who are in good health.

This one is up to you, as you will no doubt get some conflicting advice.

Susie

Re: Keeping healthy during rainy season - 09/26/02 10:53 AM

I'm in Seattle, so trust me, I get plenty of rain! I have an elevated hen house, and they mostly stay under it during rainy days. The litter in their house does get wet right around the door, which I always worry about but can't seem to prevent. They haven't suffered any ill effects yet, so I think it is mainly an issue of how healthy they are, and if they are adult. I wouldn't have the babies out in the rain, though.

Re: Keeping healthy during rainy season - 09/26/02 02:57 PM

This is just me- NO expert! It is pouring here in TN today and my chickens have all come up from the coup to my garage. They dash out when it lightens up and come back in when it's really bad. Yesterday it rained lightly and as most rainy days all were out foraging and playing in the puddles- even the babies with their mother. They all got soaked but came in only at night to roost in the new (DRY!) coop. They've done this forever and not been sick yet. I give them extra protein- cat food and yogurt along with their Kelp and DE when prolonged rain hits and everyone seems happy.

Re: Keeping healthy during rainy season - 09/26/02 03:29 PM

My birds (adults) like a good rain.. I just open the doors opposite the side the wind is blowing.. If it get's too heavy, they will all go in, have a bit to eat or drink and look outside to wait for it to ease up... the few muddy feat will get dried up by the shavings and I've never had them (chickens or shavings) stay wet... I don't know what they're gonna do when they see snow for the first time though... eek
Posted by: Susie

Re: Keeping healthy during rainy season - 09/26/02 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochima:
I don't know what they're gonna do when they see snow for the first time though... eek
Mine were scared to death and wouldn't go outside at all. I tried to coax them on a warmer day with some scratch and only got a few to come out. They stayed as best they could on the area where there wasn't snow (under the overhang). They walked the outside of the building and then walked right back and went in! LOL! One day a snow hit out of nowhere and within minutes we had a white dusting on the ground. I went out to check the chickens and found most of them in the coop but several huddled together in a corner, afraid to walk on that evil white stuff. Too funny!

Susie