Hen with swollen corner of mouth

Posted by: Tracy

Hen with swollen corner of mouth - 05/23/05 09:33 PM

Hey folks I need your help here...

I have a hen with a swollen side of her face. It is located kind of below her nostril/corner of mouth.

At closer examination it appears as though she has an abcess in the very corner of her mouth from may be trying to take down in her mouth something sharp and it cut her and got infected??

Poor girl looks uncomfortable. What can I do to help her? If antibiotics would these be available at a feed store (in Canada)?

I have separated her to her own "sick pen" with her food mushed up and added a vitamin pack to her water.

Your help would be very much appreciated by me and my Jersey girl! smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Hen with swollen corner of mouth - 05/24/05 08:46 AM

Is your hen exhibiting respiratory symptoms, nasal discharge or watery eyes? Infectious Coryza comes to mind as the worst case scenario. This condition can be treated with antibiotics, but it can recur and survivors may be carriers.

Let us know if your hen has any of the above mentioned symptoms.

Re: Hen with swollen corner of mouth - 05/24/05 10:07 AM

Nora,
Nope no sign of any kind of respiratory symptoms, and there is no nasal discharge or watery eyes. Just a terribly swollen cheek with a sore in corner of her mouth (where the jaw hinges).

As I said, I think this was caused not by any kind of air born virus, but rather from biting down into a sharp object.

My family has regularly found bits of sharp metal (nails, wire fence cut offs etc etc) in the grass on our acreage. Previous people who rented before we bought were terribly messy! We regularly go around with a magnet and boy do we gather metal. frown

My poor hen needs my help. I'm not sure what I can do?? She is eating/drinking just fine and does not look unhealthy in any way. Just need to get the swelling down.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Hen with swollen corner of mouth - 05/24/05 11:13 AM

Without knowing exactly what kind of bacteria you're dealing with, I would advise using a broad spectrum antibiotic which, hopefully, is available at your feed store.

Try a warm compress in order to get the abscess to drain. If you're able to clean it out, pack it with an antibiotic ointment.

A word of caution. Wear gloves and protective eyewear in case this is a staph infection.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Re: Hen with swollen corner of mouth - 05/24/05 11:30 AM

Nora...
Thanks so much for your quick response. I'll see what I can do. Yes most definately WILL wear gloves/eye protection!

Will keep you posted...

Tracy
Posted by: Smoky73

Re: Hen with swollen corner of mouth - 05/24/05 11:54 AM

Tracy,

Boy, do I know what you are talking about. I recently had a hen that had the identical problem.
She had apparently got something stuck in her mouth, and caused an absess in the bottom left corner of her mouth, same as yours just on bottom. This caused swelling in the area, between her eye and nostril, and even a bit on other side of face. No respiratory problems either. I put her on antibiotics for 2 weeks, no improvement. I then noticed the absess. We cleaned it out, and it appeared to be like woodshavings. the hole continued to get stuff lodged into it, and were not able to remove it the second time. We took her to the vet.
The bad news is that they had to put her under, clean out the absess, which was connected to the above area through sinus passages and also caused a respiratory infection. Lancing on our own did no good as it was below the surface. So they cleaned it out, and lanced her face, removing pus in the sinus cavity and a cottage cheesy substance in the absess. Cost? $245.00...
She has been on Baytril for a week and a pennicylin med and pain med for 2 weeks. I had to flush the face opening once per day. She has a return appointment on the 4th, and the swelling is still in her face, but the mouth wound is closed now. I am sure they will have to re lance the sinus cavity to clean it out again. They had me flush with a very WEAK solution of betadine and warm water in the opening, and flush her nostrils out with it also, holding her upside down so it didnt go into her lungs.My suggestion ultimately is to get her to an avian vet to look at it as mine would not have improved at all without it. Granted, she isnt better yet, but, she will be probably after another lancing session and another $200.00 darn.....there goes my computer upgrade I wanted.... frown