What would you call this color? *big pictures*

Posted by: Alisa

What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/23/13 10:03 PM

I received two "culls" from a breeder friend who is working on a project breed. These two girls were the only one who looked like this. What color/pattern do you think this is and what would be a good rooster to support making more of this color/pattern? the last one is an actionshot against a bantam buttercup.

Posted by: Wieslaw

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/25/13 02:56 AM

It may not be possible to fix the colour to breed true (at least not precisely as on the pictures). But there is one colour called blue red built on e+, which is relatively close. Try to google pictures of blue red Leghorns from UK. Who knows, maybe if you added some strong red enhancers, it could be pretty close.

Posted by: Henk69

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/25/13 02:32 PM

Wow!

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/25/13 09:37 PM

That's what I said when I saw them! They were in the cull pen running around with all the other ones awaiting processing.
There were similar deep cool red pullets but without the pronounced red lacing.
Could you speculate what the rooster/brother might look like so I might be able to save one? Processor comes on Wednesday.
Posted by: KazJaps

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/26/13 08:50 PM

They might have similar genetics to Brassy Backs (Furnace) & Quails, but red enhanced and two doses of blue (Bl/Bl). So maybe a male with heavily melanised neck hackles (pale blue - Bl/Bl) & deep red wingbow/shoulders, etc.

Actually, wasn't there similar segregating in a Blue-laced Red Brahma project here?

Here is the thread (check next pages too):
The Coop: Brahma project

This roo would probably make a good match with your pullets.

And yes, agree - very beautiful birds smile
Posted by: Bushman

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/27/13 03:23 PM

I would say red enhanced gold version of Silver Sussex, with two copies of Bl added.
Posted by: Piet

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/27/13 03:39 PM

What was the project your friensd is working on?

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/28/13 12:46 PM

His project is his own version of a blue colored blue layer. I'll post another picture later once they mature. I think there is some red shouldered Yokohama in these two judging by the shape, he has a gorgeous one in one of his pens.

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/29/13 01:54 AM

Does he have any with black in back/tail?

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/29/13 09:24 AM

Do you mean the Yokohama he had? No black on him.

These two pullets have very random streaks of black on a few body feathers, and there is some streaky black on the tail feathers. If you look at this picture, there's a random feather with a similar "streak" towards the tail.

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/29/13 06:09 PM

No I don't mean the Yokahoma.
I mean the other parent.
That would make these blue and not splash....
And... you could make more of these with a black rooster sibling...

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/29/13 06:33 PM

Ah, I see.
Unfortunately the possible brothers were culled already, so I just have these two girls. Also, the yokohama is probably a grandpa, not a direct parent.
I have a question though, how can i tell if the lighter one is actually splash? One is very light and one is darker - an obvious blue. I took these pictures with my phone so not very good quality.

Tailfeathers look like they have charcoal dust

The unfriendly one, darker.

The friendly one, lighter.

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/29/13 07:12 PM

to me they look blue but they could be splash
but yokohoma are splash and white not blue. An extre argument for voting blue.
I would quess ER/Ewh Bl/bl+ Mh Co/Db restricted unmelanised...
I have a dominant White x buff cross that looks similar,
The blue section is white and the red areas are buff, she has the +-same eumelanin/pheomelanin distribution but I have only 1 with this look and she is the only 1 I kept from that cross

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/29/13 08:10 PM

Do you have a picture? I would love to see her.
Posted by: KazJaps

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/30/13 03:50 AM

My guess is that the girls are e+ based, especially if Yokohamas are in their backgound.

The following hen on the right, a barnyard mix from Barry, Feathersite:

The following an interesting rooster from Brian Reeder (at Feathersite - mixed breeds):

* Mahogany Ginger Silver Phoenix

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 03/30/13 12:00 PM

Wow, good find on that chicken to the right (first picture). Looks exactly the same, even feather shape.

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 11/11/13 08:49 PM

It turns out the recipe for these was Brown leghorn over some sort of polish pullets crossed with a splash araucana.

Anyway, they went through a molt - one ended up having very light red/bright gold lacing after getting in her new feathers. The other darker blue still has dark red lacing.

[img]http://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/12778445/width/900/height/900/flags/LL[/img]

[img]http://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/12778443/width/900/height/900/flags/LL[/img]

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 11/11/13 08:57 PM

Also - What color are these peach blushed chicks? They are almost white with just a hint of peach - not enough color that could be called buff.

[img]http://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/12778440/width/900/height/900/flags/LL[/img]

[img]http://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/12778439/width/900/height/900/flags/LL[/img]
Posted by: Jimbo

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 11/12/13 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Alisa
I received two "culls" from a breeder friend who is working on a project breed. These two girls were the only one who looked like this. What color/pattern do you think this is and what would be a good rooster to support making more of this color/pattern? the last one is an actionshot against a bantam buttercup.

Does cockerel in the last image figure into genetics of the oddly patterned body feathers?
Posted by: Wieslaw

Re: What would you call this color? *big pictures* - 11/12/13 09:30 AM

Several years ago I bought eggs from the birds on the link below

http://www.theleghornclub.com/PhotosBlueRed.asp

and one pullet hatched like the bird in question, a triffle lighter red.

So, it is just red enhanced gold flitter on e+ in my view, no miracles here