white with black old english game

Posted by: paulbirdman5

white with black old english game - 08/06/17 02:15 PM

I've got a cockerel & 2 hen of the above I've chicks from them I got 2 pairs off blue reds 1 pure black hen 2 white black splash stag a 1 black with ginger hackle is there any body out there can tell me why my brother has been breeding game birds most of his life and he baffled as much as me hope to hear from you
Posted by: Wieslaw

Re: white with black old english game - 08/07/17 12:36 AM

Welcome to the coop.

I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not quite sure if I understand the situation correctly( especially white with black part). Could you rephrase it in points:
1) what color was the father
2)what color were the mothers
3)what does the white black splash look like

Do you have a possibility to post pictures of the involved birds?
Or make a link/links to birds that look like the mentioned ones?

Re: white with black old english game - 08/08/17 11:19 AM

a white with black splash means the cockerel & hen are mainly white but black feathers randomly all over

Re: white with black old english game - 08/08/17 12:10 PM

There is a spotty gene in some game birds, which can produce random spots, but I have not heard about it being present in England(mainly Australia and South-East Asia).
Different offspring from 2 birds means basically, that one or both birds is/are heterozygous for some genes(not "pure").

Type "leghorn X australorp" in google and see the pictures in the first row. If they look like this, you have basically black birds which are heterozygous for dominant white gene. But it would rule out the possibility for blue offspring. The most probable explanation : different cock is a real father of the blue ones.

Re: white with black old english game - 08/08/17 11:23 PM

I keep white with black splash old English game I brought them last year to change the genes so I don't inter breed my birds. I also breed silver duckwing old English game Carlisle not oxfords large bird not bantams where do you think they came from in Australia but from england
Posted by: Hen-Gen

Re: white with black old english game - 08/09/17 02:05 AM

It's a difficult one, paulbirdman5. Dominant white birds often carry the genes for barring, mottling or blue because these all help to give a clean white colour. Dominant white is notorious for being leaky ie allowing odd feathers or patches of colour.
So when a dominant white bird is mated to a coloured bird it allows these hidden genes to express themselves.

Re: white with black old english game - 08/09/17 11:41 PM

i have been trying to send pics off my birds but can't can somebody help me

Re: white with black old english game - 08/10/17 09:42 AM

You have to register and upload your pictures to an image hosting site (Photobucket is no longer an option, unless you'll pay 400 dollars a year), and then post the address(url) to your picture in your text.