Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond

Posted by: Anonymous

Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/29/09 07:11 AM

I raised 7 baby ducks and waited until they were grown to put them on my pond, but they go to the edge and that is it. So I bought 2 grown geese that were already swimming in a pond to shown them what to do, but they wont get in my pond either. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong so I can correct the problem?

Signed,

Owner of Land Fowl Only
Posted by: Flipflop

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/13/11 11:18 AM

i raised two geese from babies. i have them in a pen but let them everyday. they also have a small pool i put in their pen to get in the water and get used to it but i cannot get them to go into the pond. help!!!
Posted by: Maria Ricardo

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/13/11 11:26 AM

They probably follow you when you walk on land since you raised them from babies. Go for a swim, they will follow you in.

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/13/11 11:29 AM

it is really muddy at the edge of the pond. what about going out in a boat?
Posted by: Foehn

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/13/11 09:47 PM

If they swim in their small pool, can you easily set it up at the edge of the pond so they get the idea of swimming in that area, feed them a little bread by throwing it in the pool, then remove pool, but throw bread in the pond. That may give them an idea.

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/15/11 06:28 AM

will it take them a while to figure out where their pool is? also i was thinking about getting a couple of guinea hens. would they get along with the geese?

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/15/11 06:29 AM

you also said something about bread crumbs. how old do they have to be to have them?

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/15/11 07:26 AM

also i would like to ask. i have two greylag geese and their about 3to4 months old. how can i tell what genders they are?

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/16/11 12:43 AM

You didn't say how old your geese were. If you had called them goslings, I would have recommended you continue with the small pool. If they are grown and feathered and almost ready to let out unsupervised, then they will be old enough to eat a little bread without harm. I don't know what your predator loading is like where you live, so that may also be a consideration for you

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/20/11 11:11 AM

my geese are 3to4 months old. they are feathered out almost completely. i pen them up at night and let them free range all day. should i also keep penning them up at night. havnt really seen anything but a raccoon. not to say their not out there. my husband says turn them loose but i am scared something will get them?

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/20/11 08:44 PM

Raccoon have been known to tackle pretty big roosters, so I imagine they would not be put off by a goose. The call is entirely yours of course, but I would think night time security will always be important when there are predators in your area. I too would rather be cautious and keep them safe at night.

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 08/18/11 11:58 AM

I am proud to say that my geese went out in the pond but only when they were ready. Now they are truly acting like geese. By the way i named them Flip and Flop!!!! Thank you.
Posted by: TommieAnyan

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 06/07/12 12:20 AM

If they are grown and feathered and almost ready to let out unsupervised, then they will be old enough to eat a little bread without harm.
Posted by: D. Roy

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 01/11/13 02:05 AM

Had a similar problem couple of times in the past, my ducks & geese quit entering the pond; they would just stand near the edge, or go in for a (very) quick dip, then return to land.....
Once a large turtle was nibbling on duckling legs, and two other times alligators had chosen to set up house and dine on the locals.
Hope this isn't your problem-
last gator (a 6 footer), had cut the population almost in half before Animal Control was able to capture it.
Good Luck!
Posted by: South Hill Farm

Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond - 03/17/13 08:05 AM

geese (and ducks?) are incredibly particular about water depth!! they fear turtles and other pond life threats. i have geese that rejected certain ponds in favor of the kiddie pool for years. then one day you'll find them swimming! if a pond is deep enough for a human to swim it may not be suitable for water fowl who prefer shallower swimming. finally, everyone benefits from being locked up at night safe and sound. just takes one nasty thing.