Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100120 - 11/16/11 11:21 AM Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
The coop is 6X8 with about 8 ft ceilings, I built it out of Rough Cut Pine for the Boards and Hemlock for the Batten, There is about three foot of space under the coop so the Chickens can come out of coop, I may build a bigger run but my plan is to allow them to free range, I live in farm country and have plenty of land.

I Plane to get 2 Guinea Hens, 1 Rooster and 9 Chickens of assorted kinds. I am new to this. I have a Rabbit Hutch Built for two rabbits off the front, I have a removable divider if they get a long they can be together if not they will be in there own area. I am not a carpenter I just got a pile of Lumber and started building. I have about $600.00 Dollars into it.

[img]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee463/JoeyGags/Coop/IMG_4080.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee463/JoeyGags/Coop/IMG_4078.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee463/JoeyGags/Coop/IMG_4077.jpg[/img]
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#100121 - 11/16/11 11:21 AM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#100136 - 11/16/11 08:13 PM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
That is a very nice coop indeed. My only concern with it, is using the natural tree branches for roosts. I think your hens would do a lot better if you had something like 4x2 inch rails for them to roost on and have them on flat to give the maximum area for the hen to spread and sit on her feet. Small round rails can lead to pressure points on the soft pads under their feet which will in turn lead to bruising and bumble foot, should they damage the skin.
I think however that the hens will roost on the top of your nest boxes and you may not want that, given their night poop will end up there.

I like the fold down window for ventilation and that you have made a full sized door for human access..

#100181 - 11/19/11 07:32 PM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: Foehn]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

A Lot of things that I read suggested 2 Inch Round Roost polls such as Hand Rails thats why I made them like that, I can get bigger branches. Any Ideas on how to keep them off of the nesting Box?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#100183 - 11/19/11 10:10 PM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Beautiful coop! I wish I had your carpenter skills.

I wouldn't keep them off the nest boxes. The top of the nest boxes would be a nice place to sun themselves in winter. Particle board is hard to clean though. Put something smooth on it.

My birds like 2x4 roosts or big branches.

#100186 - 11/20/11 05:24 PM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Quote:
Any Ideas on how to keep them off of the nesting Box?

Do you mean preventing them from sleeping in the nests? Can be a tough task if you can't close the nests for the night. Make sure the roosts are higher than the nests.If they can choose, chickens like to sleep in the highest place available for them. The only way to unteach them to sleep in the nests is to throw them out from the nests late in the evening until it will sink in. Unless others know better ways?

If you only mean keeping them away from the top of the nest, the solution is very easy. Just make a 'roof' leaning at least 45 degrees.

#100241 - 11/22/11 09:31 AM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: Wieslaw]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I would like to keep them off the top of the nesting boxes, I may make a removable roof or something.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#100390 - 11/27/11 02:09 PM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Chickens can not grasp with their feet like other birds. The flatter and wider the roost the better. Also a wide flat roost lets then cover their toes while roosting better so in cold weather less chance of frost bite on the toes. As far as the top of the nest box , put some 1x2 welded wire at 45 degrees up. That way the light can still get in and you don`t have to remove it. Or put a ledge around it and fill it with sand. Would make a nice dusting box. Rog

#101385 - 01/11/12 08:32 AM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: Rog]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Just a bit of an update, I have added a raised area around the trap door to help keep the wood chips and what not in, I have also added a brown gutter just in the front above the rabbit hutches to keep the water from ruining the shingles and all of the splash back onto the front of the coop to help keep it from rotting. The gutter down pipe runs down the side of the coop and at the moments lets out onto a rock, Ill figure something out ( Grounds real hard there and I cant get the tractor into that spot ) I may put a little water barrel there or something. Ill post pic's when I take some. I haven't added the vents yet or the chickens for that matter.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102118 - 02/12/12 06:17 AM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: ]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

For my size coop how Many Chickens/Guineas do you think I could fit safely?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2