Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#100287 - 11/23/11 08:00 AM NEW BREED PROJECT
REY Offline
Chick

Loc: MICHIGAN
hi all my name is rey originally from the philippines and now live in michigan.
i came across this project in a couple of different forums and i want to pick your brains about this new project that some filipinos including me are trying or going to try to develope. in the philippines we don't have "our" own breed of domestic chickens. we have wild types. they are proposing to develope our own domesticated kind. it will be called sarimanok - Sarimanok is the combination of two words, Sari + manok. Sari is the name of the princess and manok- a Filipino word
which means chicken, which, in the legend is a rooster, the prince...
The Sarimanok is a very ubiquitous symbol in M’ranao art… One legend tells about the daughter of the Sultan of Lanao, whose name was Sari…
To everyone’s amazement, a cock with bright, glowing feathers flew into the middle of the feast and transformed into a very handsome prince.
The prince stated that he had been watching Sari for quite a long time since her birth...not the complete story. there are different variation of the sarimanok story.

brass folk art statue of the sarimanok

Proposed Sarimanok Standard

similarities to an ethnic tribe in the philippines

Three breeds will be used to develop the Sarimanok,

Phoenix for the long tail
Bantam Rosecomb for the large rounded earlobes
Bantam Modern Game for the long legs

they are trying to have it in large fowl size and bantam size as well.

this is it so far. what do you guys think? is it do-able? any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

#100288 - 11/23/11 08:45 AM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: REY]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
Originally Posted By: REY
Three breeds will be used to develop the Sarimanok,

Phoenix for the long tail
Bantam Rosecomb for the large rounded earlobes
Bantam Modern Game for the long legs

they are trying to have it in large fowl size and bantam size as well.

this is it so far. what do you guys think? is it do-able? any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

oh is doable. you just need to breed lots and lots of them, are you breeding for the cream/lemon hackle and saddle?

#100289 - 11/23/11 08:47 AM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: REY]
Manok Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Netherlands
Hiya Rey,

Not too long ago there was another member that wanted to create the Sarimanok:
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95322
Here's a post on another forum, with his full name. Perhaps you could see how he's doing with his project:
http://mboard.pcarrd.dost.gov.ph/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11696

But of course it's much more fun to do it yourself... smile smile smile

I like very much the look of the chicken in your proposed standard.

And it's also about time the Philippines gets an officially recognized chicken breed... about every other
country in the world has one already. smile

Creating an own breed is very do-able, as long a you have time, and quite a lot of space, and persistence.

I would say, just start breeding all these breeds together. Phoenix x Rosecomb, Phoenix x Modern Game,
Rosecomb x Modern Game, and work your way from these offspring.

You probably won't be using much more of the Rosecomb after the F1, because of its short legs and rose comb.
I wonder whether you could not better take a more "gamy" breed with white ears. You'd be getting a head start
with leg length, comb type...

#100290 - 11/23/11 09:20 AM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: Manok]
REY Offline
Chick

thanks manok. i have tried contacting him but no reply yet. i was wondering about that too. rosecomb do have short legs but i haven't really have time to look yet what gamey bantam size birds that has big rounded earlobes like the rosecomb. the rosecomb can add to the tail as well.
i do have much room. i live in the city. i will be culling hard and just try to pick the "best" of the F1 and breed them. right now i only have the pheonix and modern game. i don't have any rosecomb yet.
any suggestions on other options for the earlobes?

#100291 - 11/23/11 09:54 AM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: REY]
Wieslaw Online   content
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Welcome to the coop.
Minorcas have large earlobes(but not all of them). Some Hamburgs have also quite large. I found breeding for large earlobes rather tricky. It is not dominant , at least with me. I have seen some game cocks from the Philippines which already have very long tails. I would drop Phoenix if I had another choice. There is something wrong with this breed in terms of longevity and health(it is something I have read several places).

#100294 - 11/23/11 10:42 AM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: Wieslaw]
REY Offline
Chick

thanks for the welcome wieslaw! some phoenix are not all that bad. my line on the other hand is kinda sensitive. they have high % of jungle fowl and onagarodi in them which makes them sensitive to food with gluten in them. we don't have onagadoris here in the US. my line came from toni-marie astin. she has been working to re-creating onagadori like birds here in the US for like 20 years or so. i don't live in the philippines anymore. i do remember seeing a lot of nice game birds when i was younger. my grandfather and a few relatives used to raise hundreds of them for figthing. i was turned off to keeping chickens for a long time because of it. i just got back into it here in the states. i am just a begginer and all i have right now are seramas, a pair of non-moulting longtails bantams and a trio of modern game bantams. i don't even have rosecombs bantams yet. i haven't looked at minorca bantams yet but it was suggested. the people that suggested about this new type has no access to minorcas from what i have read. i have to look into it. i have a very well known rosecomb breeder that lives close to me. so i can get good quality birds. i have yet to see a bantam minorcas. i have only been into chickens this year. what do you recommend for the longtail for conversation sake smile
i am even thinking of mixing seramas in with it to get the chest, upright tail carriage and the vertical wings. do you guys think its a good idea?
i want the bird im working on to be bantam size. they don't have any actually standard yet that they are working on. i guess once they see better results of the crosses then they will come up with one.
manok...i see your screen name is manok smile are you filipino or is just well acquinted will the filipino culture?

#100303 - 11/23/11 04:19 PM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: REY]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Originally Posted By: High Roost Ranch
I l He's from a Red Pyle Modern bantam cock out of a Dutch Citron Silkie hen

#100312 - 11/23/11 10:24 PM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: Marvin]
REY Offline
Chick

Originally Posted By: Marvin

marvin...thank you for the picture.is he an f1? that is a very good to know how a modern and dutch will look like.

#100321 - 11/24/11 04:42 AM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: REY]
Henk69 Online   content
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
No, not dutch bantam, a silky from Holland... wink

#100327 - 11/24/11 05:42 AM Re: NEW BREED PROJECT [Re: REY]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Originally Posted By: REY
Originally Posted By: Marvin

marvin...thank you for the picture.is he an f1? that is a very good to know how a modern and dutch will look like.
seems like a F1 to me, I posted this so you can see tht even at F1 you can see those long legs..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69