Topic Options
#10038 - 02/28/04 10:02 PM ?Sick? Bantam Chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is only my second year raising chickens so: I recently got 3 rir chicks & 6 assorted bantam chicks and so far one of the banties has died. It was a runt and probably shouldn't have hatched but the problem is this other smallish chick. Not sure of age, probably four or five days but it can't balance well. It drinks well and pecks a little but gets knocked down quite a bit by the others as well as it tends to try and sleep standing up. I'm worried because of the other one dying. Does this sound like an illness or genetic thing? Any information is much appreciated.

#10039 - 02/29/04 06:20 AM Re: ?Sick? Bantam Chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Dark Tigress, and welcome to the Coop.You have come to the right place to have your problems tackled - unfortunately, not by me, as I'm pretty much a newbie too, but there are heaps of really friendly, chook-smart people here who are always ready and willing to give a helping hand and lots of encouragement. They may need a little more info, like what part of the country you are from and hence the weather/temperature etc. but I'll leave it up to them to ask themselves! Good luck and let us know how things are going. Josie

#10040 - 02/29/04 07:41 AM Re: ?Sick? Bantam Chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're in the West Virginia panhandle and right now the weather is nice, around 50 although it has been rather cold at night (in the teens). We've gotten him to eat and drink but he seems to have no energy. It falls asleep almost instantly in your hand and doesn't wake up in the cage unless run over or jumped on.

#10041 - 02/29/04 04:48 PM Re: ?Sick? Bantam Chick
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Hi DT
Its very hard to say what the problem is. If the others are doing well my guess would be that it is genetic. You might try isolating him for awhile and giving him some chick booster or a vitimin electrolite mix in the water. How old are they? If still not featherd out I assume they have extra heat? If still very young it could be pasted. Check to be sure the vent is clean and not plugged with poo. For quick energy you could give it some sugar water. 1/3 heaping cup of sugar in a quart of water.
I'm in east central Ohio and having the same weather, isn't a nice change!
Good luck to you!

Bill

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2