Topic Options
#101318 - 01/07/12 08:19 PM Predator
Loveful Heights Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio
Some thing is killing my chickens. I found one partially buried near the coop and another one dropped in a hole where a tree uprooted farther away. Obviously stashed for later retrieval. Both had their heads and most guts missing. I am guessing it is either a Coyote or a fox. Any thoughts?

#101325 - 01/08/12 07:08 AM Re: Predator [Re: Loveful Heights]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I do not know all the predators on the other side of the 'pond', but I doubt a fox would burry something near the coop. I think it would be helpful if you described the circumstances better(like whether they were freeranging birds or stolen from a pen, did they disappear at the same time or one by one? nighttime vs daytime)

#101327 - 01/08/12 10:06 AM Re: Predator [Re: Wieslaw]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
In Montana, buried kill means a Bobcat or Cougar. (or whatever large cat you have in your area?) The big cats most often just take one chicken at a time unlike the Raccoon or Mink that kill everything that moves and may just take one with them. Got to keep predators out of the coop or your birds are doomed. Good luck, CJR

#101359 - 01/10/12 06:54 PM Re: Predator [Re: CJR]
Loveful Heights Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio
My system is a movable coop on pasture. I believe the birds were killed in early morning or at dusk before going in to roost. They appear to have been killed about 80-100 feet from the coop as that is where I found the feather trails and final kill spots. One was buried about 2 feet from a kill spot along a fence row. The other was in a natural [Not dug] hole under an uprooted tree about 40 yards from the kill place. I know we have Foxes and Coyotes in the area. Ive had problems with raccoons,minks, opossums, skunks, and aerial predators before and it doesn't seem to fit any of them. I'm pretty sure its fox or coyote. I just don't know which one. Thanks for any input.

#101403 - 01/11/12 04:19 PM Re: Predator [Re: Loveful Heights]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
If it is a fox, it will come back. I remember a case when a fox visited my brother-in-law's coop, it carried nearly all birds away one by one in the course of one night. Only 3 or 4 birds were left out of 16 or 17. One of the birds were later found alive several hundreds meters away in the field, but it was bitten in the head and had to be euthanized.

Edited by Wieslaw (01/11/12 04:21 PM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn