Topic Options
#10180 - 01/28/07 07:58 AM use of aspirin in chickens ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read with interest the usage of aspirin with a sick chook .. For future reference could you tell me the amounts of aspirin i should use ? Solouble is better ?
Thanks
Mindy
xx

#10181 - 01/28/07 03:17 PM Re: use of aspirin in chickens ?
Moderator2 Online   content
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
I know some people who use a whole aspirin. I use about 1/8 to 1/4 of one aspirin tablet.

#10182 - 01/28/07 08:36 PM Re: use of aspirin in chickens ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, my chook was (still is) sick, I think with peritonitis, and I gave her aspirin. Use soluable aspirin and what I read was that it should be about 25mg per pound of body weight per day. This was, for my chook, equating to approx 1/2 tablet/day which I gave 1/2 of in the morning and 1/2 just before bed. I gave it to her in a very small 3ml syringe (obviously no needle attached!) and you have to give it in small squirts so she can swallow in between - she absolutely hates it! But, she really perks up after giving it to her and I think it has really helped her try and beat her illness. Reaserch I have read on the net about it says that it is a really good supportive treatment for other therapies. Hope this helps

#10183 - 01/31/07 11:14 PM Re: use of aspirin in chickens ?
Blue Lace Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
You can try giving her blueberries rather than aspirin. In don't know anything about peritonitis but if you're only giving her aspirin for pain, you might try blueberries instead. She'll love them. They are high in natural pain killers.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2