Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102023 - 02/09/12 02:18 AM Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded
Callum Offline
New Egg

Loc: New Zealand
Hi everyone. Im Callum, I live and work on a dairy farm in New Zealand. Poultry facinate the shit out of me! Love em. Anyway, I have a few querys regarding a breeding project that I have underway...

I have top quality silkies in black, blue and splash. Silkies in new zealand are classed as a light breed but are not much bigger than a bantam, they cover aproximatly 8 heavey breed hen eggs when broody as a referance for their size. This is not my silkies, this is all silkies in NZ. I am trying to breed them bigger, how best do I accomplish this. Theres the simple way, hatch many chicks, raise them to maturaty and pick out the best of the biggest (line breeding?). Or I could get a 1 of the many huge orpington hens we have over here, put a silkie roo over her and breed their offspring back to a silkie and hope the orpington gave the offspring size. It may sound like Ive got it all sorted but I realy dont, bugger all experiance when it comes this deep into breeding poultry.

Also, there are NO bearded silkies in NZ. I have came across a couple, well I should so a freind with a closely related line of silkies to mine has, anyway, hes been getting the odd slightly bearded silkie coming through, how do you breed to get a more consistant beard? Thanks guys and girls appreciate you wisdom in advance.

#102024 - 02/09/12 02:57 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: Callum]
Redcap Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Germany
You have to work with artificial insemination for F1, F2 ... Fn

More professional

Some tools You need
http://www.huehner-info.de/forum/showthread.php/9183-k%C3%BCnstliche-Befruchtung-bei-H%C3%BChnern

I would use Cochin hens and Silky roosters

#102025 - 02/09/12 03:38 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: Callum]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Callum
Poultry facinate the shit out of me!

Try to be less graphic. We use the word 'poop' here.

#102026 - 02/09/12 03:46 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: Wieslaw]
Htul Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Australia
re: the beards - if you have Faverolles in NZ, or Araucanas with beards (I think your Araucanas are bearded like the ones here in Australia), you can introduce this trait into silkies by outcrossing, then crossing back into silkies (I seem to have read an article that suggested this is how we ended up with bearded sikies here in Australia)

Cheers,
htul

#102027 - 02/09/12 05:08 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: Htul]
SilverSilkie Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Belgium
Would it not be more simpler (= 'poop' simple ;-) to get some eggs of the bearded Silkies from Holland, Germany, Belgium.
We have them here over 2 kg = 4.4 lbs.

#102031 - 02/09/12 08:20 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: SilverSilkie]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I recall some New Zealanders wrote that they are not allowed to import eggs.

#102032 - 02/09/12 08:25 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: Wieslaw]
SilverSilkie Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Same as we in EU for the eggs of US, pitty :-(

#102036 - 02/09/12 08:48 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: SilverSilkie]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

You can actually import eggs from US, but you must have a lot of formalities done(costly) to do it. Unless something has changed that I do not know of.

#102037 - 02/09/12 08:55 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: Wieslaw]
SilverSilkie Offline
Ruler of the Roost

A French friend of mine who is crazy about the US Silkies asked a friend of her who visited the US to bring (70) eggs in his hand luggage. They think they can do this armless. In a few days I will know how the customs authorities handled this. To be followed :-(

#102043 - 02/09/12 10:02 AM Re: Silkie Breeding Program, Size And Bearded [Re: SilverSilkie]
Redcap Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Germany
I think it will rather work with normal luggage ... hand luggage will be screened in detail ...
Sorry, for this off topic question ... Does anyone know whether I can import hatching eggs from GB by car and ferry without control? ... what would you recommend for ferry connection: GB <-> F or GB <-> NL? Where do they control more?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69