Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102087 - 02/11/12 01:35 PM Is wormer you add to food a good idea?
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
I Got a bag of safeguard wormer that you add to the food, is it a good idea/product to use? It says it treats like 400 LBS of food.

Is it a good idea to worm chickens? they will be free range birds.

Can you eat the eggs while worming them and how often do you worm and how?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102089 - 02/11/12 01:45 PM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: JoeG]
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Does the instructions tell you there needs to be a with holding period on eggs?

I worm my hens 2x a year as they free range. Free range hens do have the opportunity to eat lots of bugs, and some of those carry tapeworms as an intermediate host. I target autumn when the hens start to moult as they usually don't lay then, and again in the spring before they start laying. I use a wormer though that does have a with holding period

I can't help you with Safeguard however, I am not aware of that as a product in NZ.

#102092 - 02/11/12 02:56 PM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: Foehn]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I've only wormed birds that have shown they needed it from a fecal sample. I used Safeguard (Fenbendazole) paste dewormer for horses to treat the gapeworms that some hens had. I used a pea sized gob in their beaks, repeated in ten days. It worked. I fed the eggs they produced to the dog during the treatment time just to be on the safe side.

I'd be worried with a feed additive that some chickens would eat too much, even though Safeguard is supposed to be hard to overdose with.

#102107 - 02/12/12 01:20 AM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: Maria Ricardo]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Wormers are poisons. I would NEVER give wormer to my birds unless they indicate they need it, and then, by fecal sample to indicate what kind of worms they have. I live where it is COLD, frozen ground for months, and this may control worms that could (not WOULD)otherwise be harmful to my birds. By checking weight and condition regularly, as they mature, you would have an indication that worms might be affecting their health. Not to worry, and not to worm UNLESS really needed. Store the Wormer, and it will be on hand IF NEEDED. Good luck, CJR

#102114 - 02/12/12 05:58 AM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: CJR]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
The question ist, whether Safeguard is the right wormer for chickens? Flubendazole is no poison. That''s a real panacea and prevent against cancer
http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/115/23/4824.abstract

#102117 - 02/12/12 06:15 AM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: Redcap]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I was told by the feed store that Safe Guard is what they would use, And I see people do use it by google search.

If a Chicken has worms is it Unsafe for us to eat the eggs? Can it spread to my dog's?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102216 - 02/16/12 12:28 AM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: JoeG]
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I wouldn't think bird worms would survive in a mammal, but then I'm not an expert on worms per sae, so I don't know for sure.
The only risk to you is if the wormer has a with holding period, not because you'll get worms from the eggs.

You are not totally clear as to what you mean by your statement.

With holding periods are often due to the fact that some of the ingredients in bird wormers may also be used in human wormers and they are wanting you to not eat the eggs because if there is residual amounts of the wormer passed through into the egg, the dose rate you would get will be tiny, but that might also lead to any human worms you may carry, becoming immune, so, should you need a wormer for yourself, it might not work.

For the same reason, antibiotics given to milking cows, mustn't enter the food chain via milk. There are hefty penalties here if they are found in a farm supply. Children drinking milk with residual antibiotics will develop an immunity, so many antibiotics will become useless to them in time of need.

Edited by Foehn (02/16/12 12:30 AM)

#102225 - 02/16/12 05:12 AM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: Foehn]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

So with Safe Guard how long should I not eat the eggs? Can teh eggs be given to my dog's in that time?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102242 - 02/16/12 10:07 PM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
There should be instructions with the product, but I would never feed anything to my chickens that was not needed. Feed store personel seldom have any experience with chickens--they SELL stuff, whether needed or not. And the salesman they purchase their products from SELL them stuff to SELL... And they only have to have strong backs to load stuff into your pickup. Perhaps if you wait until you have your chickens growing, you will learn from them what is needed and not be worried about possibilities. There are very good books that can be a reference, as you want to find out about caring for your birds if unusual things occur. Keeping your birds well fed, watered, dry bedding, comfortable roost, and safe from predators (dogs, even yours) will be a happy experience. Good luck, CJR

#102574 - 03/01/12 08:24 PM Re: Is wormer you add to food a good idea? [Re: CJR]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
DO you have horses? Save the Safeguard for them. I have never considered Safeguard as an all purpose wormer for my chickens, although if you have a specific problem that requires a targetted wormer, then Safeguard might be your wormer of choice.

If you feel you must worm your birds, there are other alternatives available to you. For example, piperazine. This has been around for a long time and is used in humans when they have worms so one could guess that you DO NOT have to throw away the eggs while your chickens are taking piperazine. I don't. As well, piperazine is pretty easy to use. You mix it in their water, leave the water out there all day and let them drink as much as they want, next morning, you toss that water and give them regular water. Easy as pie.

There are also pour-on wormers that people use. This wormer is applied to the skin of the bird. THese ARE NOT approved for use in chickens(mostly for cattle and other large livestock) but many people use them with great success because they treat internal and external parasites. Kill worms and lice at the same time!

Some people are uncomfortable using these as they feel there is a legal problem with it. In fact, off label use IS NOT illegal. It is a very common practice in both human and animal medicine and the idea that you are breaking the law is incorrect. If you are an egg farmer and sell your eggs to the public, you have tighter rules to work within. But if these are YOUR chickens and YOU eat the eggs, you are not breaking any laws. I have used these wormers, mostly for lice/mite control but the internal worm control was an added bonus. It does NOT go in their food, you apply it to the skin of each chicken.

I never used to worm meatbirds, but a few years back had several die days before slaughter (this is the worst time to lose them, when you've fed them for 10 weeks!) When we butchered the rest we found several with paper thin intestines that fell apart in our hands like wet tissue paper and they were LOADED with worms! I am willing to bet those that died, died from intestinal blow out, the worm load literally burst their innards and killed them. I was so GROSSED OUT that I started worming ALL my meatbirds half way through their life. Just to prevent that from ever happening again PLUS I do not want to eat birds that I know had guts full of worms. (full body shudder)

I got my worm/pest issues under control with the pour on wormer. I keep the body pests under control with a No PEst strip in the coop, and once a year, when I worm the meatbirds, I worm the laying flock too. So far, this has worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2