Topic Options
#102090 - 02/11/12 01:46 PM Feeding flock, do I just keep the feeder full?
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Hi, I ll be getting about twelve birds, I have a decent size auto feeder ( It says it ll feed like 75 Birds),should I just keep it filled and they will eat what they need or should I feed them a certain amount? If so how many times a day?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102091 - 02/11/12 02:47 PM Re: Feeding flock, do I just keep the feeder full? [Re: JoeG]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I've read somewhere that hens need 4.5 ounces of feed per day. I just fill the container and let them eat what they want. That said, every time I butcher a hen, she is fat.

Do your birds free range? That should cut down on their feed a bit.

There has to be enough feed so that the lower ranking birds will get their share.

The birds are hungriest before they roost in the evening and when they awaken.

Have fun with your birds!

#102097 - 02/11/12 06:48 PM Re: Feeding flock, do I just keep the feeder full? [Re: Maria Ricardo]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I Plan to have them free range, I haven't picked them up yet I am going to wait in till sometime in march to get them.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102106 - 02/12/12 01:09 AM Re: Feeding flock, do I just keep the feeder full? [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
With a Feeder that size, does not need to be full all the time, just part full, let them eat as much as they like. To keep feed clean and fresh,and not eaten by wild birds and varmints, it must be inside the house, and your house, pictured for us, is pretty small for that many birds, feeder, water, roost, nests take a lot of space,although just 4 nests will take care of 12 hens , if the boxes are large enough, so eggs will not be broken --they like to lay in the same nest, if possible-but have to choose several if they are ready to lay at about the same time--they do wait or crowd in with another hen!) It is great to start with a new house and a new flock--you will find out what works best, as they grow, lay, and become your friends! Good luck, CJR

Edited by CJR (02/12/12 01:12 AM)

#102115 - 02/12/12 06:09 AM Re: Feeding flock, do I just keep the feeder full? [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

So keep food in it pretty much all the time so they can eat when they need. How many birds do you think I should get ?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn