Topic Options
#102138 - 02/12/12 03:05 PM How to introduce My Rottweilers to my Chickens?
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
I have two Rottweilers a male and a female,The female is older and calm my male is young and a bit energetic, but they are both good dog's, I am getting ready to get my Chickens and my Rabbits and I am wondering how should I do the introducing, I plan to have the birds free range and since I live int he country my dog's do go off lead in the yard, Any Tips.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102141 - 02/12/12 03:49 PM Re: How to introduce My Rottweilers to my Chickens [Re: JoeG]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
My Rottweiler is the handiest dog I've had around the chickens. He kills predators, will run down and not hurt a chicken that I want, and can round them up.

Let your dogs know in no uncertain terms that the chickens are verboten!

maui lying among chickens by Mariaricardo1, on Flickr

Edited by Maria Ricardo (02/12/12 03:49 PM)

#102144 - 02/12/12 04:44 PM Re: How to introduce My Rottweilers to my Chickens [Re: Maria Ricardo]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I am hoping that all will go well, I know my boy will sit and stay if I tell him when the wild turkeys pass though the yard.
I hop they ll be the same as yours, and help keep the coyotes and bears away, I know the Coyotes and the foxes tend to stay away from the main yard because of the dogs ( Prior to getting my dogs they would come on to the yard)
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102149 - 02/12/12 08:26 PM Re: How to introduce My Rottweilers to my Chickens [Re: JoeG]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Well, I would keep them on a leash during your first introduction or you may find yourself chasing dogs after chickens. I would handle the chickens and keep them close to you and get their scent on you while your dogs observe your behavior. What I did when I got my Pyre pup was keep the chickens in the pen and bring her in the pen on a short leash for the first couple of weeks. She naturally wanted to play with them and I let her know that was not allowed. Then after that, I would take her off the leash in the pen making sure she obeyed commands to leave them alone if she got playful. When she got to ignoring them I let the chickens out for free ranging. She has been doing a great job protecting once she reached the proper age. I think you should take the time to make sure the dogs know that the chickens are part of the pack. Don't rush it.

Edited by Fowled Out (02/12/12 08:28 PM)

#102177 - 02/13/12 07:58 PM Re: How to introduce My Rottweilers to my Chickens [Re: Fowled Out]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

No plans to rush it, I just want it to not be a problem everytime every one is out. I just want them to be good farm dog's.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102212 - 02/15/12 01:35 PM Re: How to introduce My Rottweilers to my Chickens [Re: JoeG]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
I don't think there is a fool proof solution. It really depends on the owner and the dog(s) in question. You have two dogs to introduce so that could present different circumstances. I do know you have to first be their pack leader and second, get them to understand the chickens are part of the pack and ideally higher in the pack order than them, and are not to be played with or harmed because of that.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn