Topic Options
#102227 - 02/16/12 05:42 AM Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Have some ?
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Hi, I am not sure where to post these questions.

I picked up a 50 LBS bag of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, I am planning on using it around the Barn and feeding it to my livestock Mainly Rabbits and Chickens.

Then I got reading a bit on the net and I am now thinking of also giving it to the dog's it seems that it is good there health.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff is it worth it? If so what would be the best way to add it to the dog's / Chickens/ Rabbits routine? How much should I give?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102241 - 02/16/12 06:36 PM Re: Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Have some ? [Re: JoeG]
Moderator2 Offline
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
You can type it in to the search function and get many threads on it. This is a topic that generally comes down to an endless debate. There doesn't seem to be much down side but most of the positive spin comes from those with an interest in selling it.

#102273 - 02/18/12 09:53 AM Re: Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Have some ? [Re: Moderator2]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
I know one thing. When I used it with an atomizer under and around my house it significantly reduced the number of spiders and bugs that found their way into my house. So, I use it in my chicken houses and nest boxes and I have yet to see those insects I read about, like mites and lice. But if it gets wet, you have to re-apply.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn