Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10237 - 05/10/04 06:54 PM Impacted crop
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Well I just cleaned out my first (hopefully my last) impacted crop. It is alot different cutting on an animal you want to keep alive rather than one you intend to eat. She had lost ALOT of weight but hadn't shown any syptoms of distress so it went unnoticed.
Her crop was bulging and I remove half a sandwich bag of stuff eek . I didn't find any single thing that looked like the cause. There was a good deal of grass but nothing that they all dont eat every day. There was orange in there from over 24 hours before some grain and muck. Nasty smell! She was ill (cause unnone) several weeks earlier. I wounder if it may be conected.
I cut as small an opening as I could to work through and hope I removed everything. I intend to give only water with antibiotics and some vitimins for now. Tomorrow I thought I would feed her some yogurt or other food that is completly water soluble so as not to put any stress on the crop.
Has anyone done this??? If so, does this sound like your experience? Any tips for recovery and what to expect? Anything I should have done or not have done?
She has never been a healthy bird but she has survived without any help for 3 years. Her vision is poor and she doesn't lay. Maybe I should have culled her? She seems surprisingly alert for what she has just been through though.
Well I guess I just needed the therapy of writting this all down. Thanks for listening (reading).

Bill

#10238 - 05/10/04 07:22 PM Re: Impacted crop
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill,

Well done. I admire your nerve. I hope that if and when this needs to be done to one of my birds I have the same confidence.

A question about the incisions. After cutting through the skin, did you move the crop slightly so that the incisions were not parallel?

Many years ago, I did this on a budgerigar. I was unable to move the crop because it was so engorged so the incisions were parallel. Was this your experience as well?

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

#10239 - 05/10/04 07:40 PM Re: Impacted crop
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

The incisions are inline with each other. I never thought about it and went straight in. Had I thought too much it may not have got done. The crop wouldn't have moved it was so tight but the skin would have pulled over some.
Thats a tip for the future.

Bill

#10240 - 05/10/04 09:54 PM Re: Impacted crop
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
Bill I am very interested in this, I have a bird with the same problem but been too scared to try and open her up like you did

How did you close the opening when finished, and do you think that it will stay together when she starts to eat and drink normally again and not pull open

Also where did you make the cut please, I was going to cull this girl last night but couldn't bring myself to do it, glad I waited and read your post

Any information would be very much appreciated

Sandy

#10241 - 05/11/04 03:34 AM Re: Impacted crop
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Hi Sandy

Be sure you have everything ready and room to work. Alcahol for cleaning everything, towels, gaze, gloves, razor blade or scalple etc. I laid her on her side and plucked a patch of feathers just off center of the crop. The crop was about 3/4 the size of a baseball and very firm.. Cleaned with alcahol and cut. The skin is very thin. The crop is much thicker. Once open I hope the stuff would sort of squeeze out but it didn't. A larger hole would have helped but I didn't have any way to stich it up. I use the handle end of a childs size toothbrush and basicly dug all the stuff out a hole about 3/8 long. Bleeding wasn't too bad after the first couple minutes. Its hard to tell when your done. I kept finding stuff after The crop felt empty. I am not saying this is the correct or best way to go about this. I was in the same situation though, Do someting or cull her. I didn't want to let her starve to death.
She is standing this morning looking well and she was on a towel all night and there wasn't any blood there this morning. Best of luck to you!

Bill

#10242 - 05/11/04 05:20 AM Re: Impacted crop
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Thank you for all that Bill

Another question

How did you sew her up or didn't you, what did you do, this causing me a bit of grief thinking that if I go to this trouble and put her through all of this and then the crop wont hold any food and keep on opening up at the cut site

Much appreciate your help and time on this

Sandy

#10243 - 05/11/04 08:35 AM Re: Impacted crop
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sandy,

If I may stand in for Bill for a moment.

The first incision in the skin should be made vertically. If you are able to discern the tissue grain go with that. If possible, rotate the crop so that the second incision can be made as close to the top as possible. Again, going with the grain.

These incisions should not need closing. The reason for not making them parallel is to avoid adhesions. You don't want the wall of the crop healing to the skin.

Bill, the only advise I can give you is if you notice any adhesion, go back in and stitch up the two incisions separately.

Again, my experience is with budgies. Their crops are basically a bulge in the esophagus. Of course, a chickens is much more developed.

Hopefully, someone with more experience can tell us about the ramifications of crop adhesions in chickens.

Good luck to all four of you and keep us posted

#10244 - 05/11/04 11:40 AM Re: Impacted crop
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

I did not sew her closed. The crop is very elastic. It stretched while I was working and closed itself.
I just now cleaned and bandaged the incision. Amazing how well it is sealing itself. I moved the skin around and it didn't feel as though it was stuck to the crop wall.
As I said before, my goal is to feed her small amounts at a time of soft food. She ate yogurt this morning. Smashed banana at noon and she just had some scrambled eggs with milk added to make them a little runny.
I just tossed the rooster out and put her in the run for awhile. I hope to keep her in there enough to avoid peck order problems in the fututre.
So far she is looking good.

Bill

#10245 - 05/11/04 04:58 PM Re: Impacted crop
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Thank you so much for your time and information
I will go out and isolate her ready for the operation later on today

I have often thought of doing this, but never had the guts to give it a try, always worried about the crop healing, but with your words of encouragement I will give it a go

Thank you once again Bill, very much appreciated

Sandy

#10246 - 05/11/04 05:02 PM Re: Impacted crop
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Hi Nora

Thank you also for your help and advice

When you say sew up, what would you use to do this, I know what to do, but not what with

I have noted the way to cut, thats pretty important too, so will make sure I follow your advice on that one, would hate to go through all this to find I'd botched it up in the end

I am learning so much from all of you its great, thank you for careing enought to take the time to reply to my posts

Sandy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2