Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102316 - 02/20/12 03:04 PM Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ?
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Hi, I need the dimesions to be about 71" by 19 " I was thinking about getting boot trays, if I got three of them and trimmed one done a few inches it should fit.

Is this a good idea? could I just lay them on the floor under the roost?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102317 - 02/20/12 04:38 PM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Don't put anything on the floor except chickens, if you do not have to! Even hanging feeders and waterers will make cleaning out the coop easier. The chickens would walk. scratch, sort through to eat junk, NO, not the poop tray on the floor under the roosts! You DO NOT want them in contact with that solid droppings collection!!!They would spread it all over the coop! I will measure my large ones. I ordered them, by dimension, from the company that made my cages with the galvanized trays that slide out--years ago. I use the cages for hens with chicks and sometimes stack themn in the large pens to care for the young ones until they are large enough for the floor and their own pens. They were very inexpensive at the time. I use them on the roost shelf, just for the larger pens, as boxes with roosts over the top are easier for the small pens for just 3 or 4 birds. Am looking for pictures for you!.....CJR

#102319 - 02/20/12 06:28 PM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Ok I am waiting on some Pic's
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102323 - 02/20/12 08:06 PM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: JoeG]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
CJR, do you find the poop freezes onto the trays in winter? Here, the poop freezes to the floor! I have to shovel out when weather permits.

JoeG, what I have done, and it is a poore solution compared to poop trays, is I have put a 4 inch board edging around the area under the roost.

Since most of the poop happens as the birds are roosting, the poop stays confined within the edges (picture a sandbox). The chickens do get in there are scratch, but don't really scratch the poo out. When I shovel I just shovel out the poo pit under the roost. Yes, that 4 inch board is a bit of a pain to deal with, but at least the rest of the bedding is dry.

I throw out the wet, poopy shavings, then scoop up the lightly used shavings from the rest of the floor and toss that, dry, into the poo pit. Then I put FRESH shavings onto the regular floor area. This way I only shovel out a small square footage directly beneath the roost AND my bedding is used twice before tossing. Once on main floor area, then into poo pit, then out.

If your birds spend all winter indoors, this will not work. Since my birds have covered outdoor area, they go outside daily to eat and drink and do not have to stand in snow. THey hate standing in snow. Bunch of sissies! If they spent all day inside, the poop would be too much everywhere and then the boarded off poo pit would be pointless. But as it is they are outside frequently, inside to roost and most of the poo is contained.

But poo trays are better.

#102333 - 02/21/12 05:25 AM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: Uno]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I am looking for a easy solution at the moment, Would sticking rubber boot trays under the roost but off the ground work? I could take them out and hose them off daily or a every few days depending on the use?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102338 - 02/21/12 09:28 AM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Am still looking for a picture I know is in the files, with birds roosting. Will draw you one, if I cannot find it this morning.

And no, the poop does not freeze in my houses. My houses are heated to just above freezing all winter, as even 20f will freeze combs on my bantam. Sometimes it is below zero for days on end! (Not this winter, so far.) My roost shelf and roosts are up near the ceiling of the houses--warmest part of the houses, so they are very comfortable. Nest box or boxes are on another shelf below the roost shelf and windows are below that shelf--the sun shines on the floor in winter, that warms the houses and the birds stretch out and enjoy any sun, just like outside in summer--and roof eves keep the sun off the floor in summer, so the houses are cooler. This info would not help you as your very nice little coop is already built, but inside can still be easy for both you and the chickens. CJR

#102355 - 02/21/12 08:59 PM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: CJR]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I took a piece of plywood cut a little bigger than the shape of the roosts and hung it by eye bolts and rope about 4" below the roosts. I use a piece of sheet metal to scrape the board off right into the wheelbarrow.

#102433 - 02/23/12 09:55 PM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Were you looking for this page CJR? I remember having an interest in this one a long time ago. Sadly some of the links no longer work. I will try to restore or find an alternate page. Droppings board thread

#102437 - 02/24/12 12:38 AM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: Foehn]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Have not found the best pictures, long ago, but have some that might be useful and took one of the tray and the tray on the roost shelf, but no birds are in that house this winter. Will send them email to Mark. CJR

In the picture posted long ago. No tray, as with just 2 or 3 birds in each pen, the wooden grape box with 1x2 roosts nailed across makes a neat place to sleep, up near the ceiling, warm i winter. Lined with plastic and some shavings, it takes a month to fill it, birds cannot get into the droppings and it is dumped onto compost pile. cleanly, ready to be set up on the shelf again. In that picture, the shelf below has the nest boxes. Cockerel is on a roost to fly up to either shelf. Window is low, and there is another day roost, where birds can just sit and preen or rest. It leaves all the rest of the pen for lots of room for the birds, their feeder and waterer and the wiundow lets light on the floor, so the pens are never dark during the day.

There used to be some pictures of coops at the beginning of the topic lines, but they are gone. (Hatcheries, lots of references lines There were several pictures of my houses and pens..hadn't missed them until now....CJR

Edited by CJR (02/24/12 12:43 AM)

#102476 - 02/24/12 12:32 PM Re: Looking for a Manure tray for under roost ? [Re: JoeG]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: JoeG
I am looking for a easy solution at the moment, Would sticking rubber boot trays under the roost but off the ground work? I could take them out and hose them off daily or a every few days depending on the use?

I'm not sure what a rubber boot tray is, but I would think it would be much easier and faster to just buy a windshield ice scrapper and a dustpan and clean off the roost that way! Take it out to wash it every so often when the weather is nice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2