Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102572 - 03/01/12 06:56 PM At what age do you switch foods from birth till th
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Hi, Just wondering at what age do you switch foods, Starting from when you get them as chicks till when ever there no longer around, Ill start them on Med Starter food, whats next? My Layers are on Layer Pellets. Thanks
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102588 - 03/02/12 12:43 PM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I keep my chicks on Starter crumbles, medicated, until they start to lay (about 4 1/2 months for my birds). Then I mix layer crumbles about half and half for another week or two, then just layer crumbles. Pellets are too large for my bantams, and pullet of large fowl will appreciate crumbles until they are about 5-6 months old. They will then be matured, will enjoy pellets, and be developed for a good healthy reproduction system that may last for several years!

(THis is for layers. If I raised broilers--different regime..)

Medicated feed protects from Coccidiosis, and no need to stop it too soon, as it is such a low addition to the feed, that stopping too soon may not give them lifetime immunity to Cocci, especially if they are free ranged at an early age. Good luck, CJR

Edited by CJR (03/02/12 12:44 PM)

#102774 - 03/11/12 05:30 PM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Do I need to feed the Chicks Grit? If so when and is it the same grit Id feed my Hens?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102778 - 03/11/12 07:44 PM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: JoeG]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Chick grit is fine metal, whereas hen grit is more commonly oyster shell grit which hens need to utilize for good shell on their eggs. Doesn't hurt to have both available, but don't force it on them. Just have it in a container somewhere where they can help themselves.
If you are feeding crumbles (starter for chicks, grower for pullets) there is usually no need for grit as they will digest crumbles easily. Only if you move them on to grain will they need access to grit. You can feed either starter or grower right up 'til they begin to lay, and then switch over to layer feed.

#102787 - 03/12/12 05:57 AM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: Foehn]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

So no grit needed for Starter feed and Grower? only when given Layer? or Crack corn?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102791 - 03/12/12 08:17 AM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Best to offer baby grit when on shavings as bedding, as they do eat some, and when they go outside,as they will eat lots of junk that can best be processed with a little grit in the gizzard. It lasts in their gizzards for a long time. .
I use baby grit just sprinkled near their feeder when they go on shavings after their paper bedding. A small sack lasts for years, as I do not hatch a lot of chicks each year. I do not feed scratch to chickx until 9-10 weeks old and then very little! It does not help them grow, just teaches them to come (and like treats, can spoil them for their real feed) CJR

Edited by CJR (03/12/12 08:18 AM)

#102792 - 03/12/12 08:25 AM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

http://www.tractorsupply.com/manna-pro-reg-poultry-grit-5-lb--1003027

This is the only thing they have at my Local tractor Supply, I have checked the other feed stores that I use and None have Baby Grit.

I have the type in the link above for my Hens..
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#103226 - 04/02/12 04:38 AM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: JoeG]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I did find Chick grit. I have about 25 Lb of Med starter left, I prob pick up a bag of grower, Or i have all flock is good also.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#103228 - 04/02/12 08:39 AM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Since you plan to free range your young birds when possible, those young birds will be best protected from Coccidiosis if you keep them on Medicated Starter until the pullets start laying. Makes it easier to store your feed, if you do not have a lot of different kinds, and it will be fresher when you feed it. Grower is best suited for fryers that will be butchered to put on good weight early. Pullets for layers do not need it. They will mature just fine on Starter, then mix half and half with Layer Ration for a few days before going on straight layer feed. CJR

Not to worry too much, however, your birds will do just fine.

#103229 - 04/02/12 09:07 AM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Do they make starter in a crumble or a pellet? what happens if My laying hens get into it?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#103232 - 04/02/12 05:31 PM Re: At what age do you switch foods from birth till th [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

I use only crumbles, Starter crumbles,as well as Layer, as my bantams are too small to eat pellets. Chicks will waste less of crumbles than mash and are too small to use pellets (unless your supplier has chick pellets? Have not seen them, but they may exist in some areas. Nothing happens if your hens get into Starter, but because of Medication, some might worry about the very low dose of Amprolium (not as worrisome, like other medications). I use the first eggs from pullets, even though they are from Medicated Starter fed pullets, but would not sell them.

Not to worry. CJR

Have asked for Rog to post picture of "teenie" eggs--maybe on your Rattite topic line ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn