Topic Options
#102618 - 03/04/12 01:15 PM Neurological defect - Arched Neck
BarnGoddess Offline
New Egg

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I have a Black Copper Marans pullet with what I think may be "arched neck". At first, I thought she was just very pretty, carrying herself rather more like a swan than a chicken but now at 15 weeks (and after reading that there is a nervous system disorder called arched neck) - I think she may have a problem. Is anyone aware of somewhere I can go to get more information?

#102620 - 03/04/12 02:41 PM Re: Neurological defect - Arched Neck [Re: BarnGoddess]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Here is a little :

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/44/6/223.extract
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/44/6/local/front-matter.pdf

I have stumbled upon it before, so perhaps there is an old thread or two about it, if you search.

Can you post a picture ?

#102627 - 03/04/12 09:17 PM Re: Neurological defect - Arched Neck [Re: Wieslaw]
BarnGoddess Offline
New Egg

I CAN post a picture, assuming I can figure out HOW to post a picture on this forum!! Stay tuned ...

#102629 - 03/04/12 09:49 PM Re: Neurological defect - Arched Neck [Re: Wieslaw]
BarnGoddess Offline
New Egg

http://www.dodington.com/chickens.html

This is Ann. She can and will extend her neck if I bribe her. It seems rather like she has an issue with her depth perception but she can nail a raisin in my hand or fingers dead on from any direction every time. But she isn't a fan of heights. Not even a few inches.

#102630 - 03/04/12 10:40 PM Re: Neurological defect - Arched Neck [Re: BarnGoddess]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

She looks similar to the cock from the second link I have posted. May be the same condition. Does she have some balance problems when scared, as is described in the links above?

PS. To post a picture here you have to register in an image hosting site(like Photobucket or other), upload your images there and post the link to your picture in the text you're writing)

#102632 - 03/04/12 10:50 PM Re: Neurological defect - Arched Neck [Re: Wieslaw]
BarnGoddess Offline
New Egg

Thank you for those links.

I suspect she does have balance issues when scared and her "issues" do seem to be getting worse as she gets older. My main concern - should I be cullng her? Or will the choice be taken out of my hands? Or can I hatch her eggs and just watch for problems down the road? Is this something she is likely to pass on? I am just getting started with Marans so it would be a brother/sister mating. (Absolutely no idea if this is significant but she also has the short outside toe common with feather legged breeds.)

#102634 - 03/05/12 12:00 AM Re: Neurological defect - Arched Neck [Re: BarnGoddess]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I have no idea what kind of those conditions your bird exactly has. If it is a sex-linked kind, then you can get healthy daughters out of her(provided her male partner is not a carrier). And of course provided she lives that long and mates normally.

In case it is some kind of autosomal recessive, it can mean you can have more birds that are carriers. Do you know something about her ancestors? Or the flock where they came from?

Edited by Wieslaw (03/05/12 12:07 AM)
Edit Reason: added some lines

#102635 - 03/05/12 12:45 AM Re: Neurological defect - Arched Neck [Re: BarnGoddess]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
BarnGoddess, I'll post the image for you...

Ann

(p.s. to post images, place the image url within these tags [img][/img]. I.e. paste http://www.dodington.com/photos/ann1.jpg (image url) in between [img][/img] )

Not saying your hen has this (probably not), but another similar environmental condition - botulism (toxin from bacterium) can give a similar looking crooked neck. So botulism would need to be eliminated as causal, from similar genetic ailments that don't express as day-olds.

Looks like some of these genetic ones are sex-linked recessives. So if it is genetic & sex-linked recessive, it would mean that the father only might be a carrier (unless the mutation occurred in her first). I.e. the mother would be ok for breeding, can't be a carrier (unless the mutation has reduced penetrance -not always expressed, but probably not in this case). But if an autosomal recessive, it would mean both parents are carriers.

Personally my choice, as long as she (Ann) can eat ok, otherwise healthy, no need to kill (can still eat her eggs smile ), but cull out from breeding pen (ie not wise to set eggs, nor use parents for breeding if suspect genetic carriers). If her brothers/sisters produce similar offspring to Ann - then you have a significant problem (I had congenital loco segregate in R.I.Red bantam trio - so I never bred from them again - healthy hens became pets). If possible, ask the breeder the line comes from if similar 'arched necks' have occurred.

#102643 - 03/05/12 02:14 PM Re: Neurological defect - Arched Neck [Re: KazJaps]
BarnGoddess Offline
New Egg

I don't think it is botulism because this wasn't sudden onset. I noticed she had an odd posture very early on. She always looked "swan like". Now, however, as she gets older, it seems to be getting more extreme. None of my other birds are showing anything even remotely similar.

The breeder is experienced and reputable. I will contact her and let her know what is going on with my bird. Perhaps she will have something to add. Thanks!

Edited by BarnGoddess (03/05/12 02:15 PM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box