Topic Options
#10293 - 08/06/02 09:58 AM Pine Tar and Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

My RIR had a pickfest yesterday and several of the dark chickens have bare areas above their tail (on their back). I pine tarred everyone as I have before and that will stop the picking, but I wonder if it's safe to eat their eggs...will enough pine tar be absorbed to be a problem?

My little Araucana, Wrylie (she has a wry tail) was picked so badly that she is limping, so I had to put up the hospital and separate her with a buddy this morning so she can heal in peace. My "hospital" is a wire pen I built to go in the corner when needed.

#10294 - 08/06/02 01:56 PM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Mtech: I am probably the original advocate of pine tar here, and I have put it on birds of every age and condition. I have never had it affect eggs in any way. Personally speaking, I never considered there to be any danger from absorption through the skin into eggs. Being a natural tree product, there is no danger in my opinion. It would be possible to get some pine tar on an egg, I suppose, but it wouldn't bother me to crack that one into the pan for breakfast. Hope this helps.

#10295 - 08/07/02 03:52 PM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Dr. Bruce! When I first needed something for picking I found on the original board that pine tar was the thing and it really has worked so well. I won't worry about the eggs.

Now, the chicken with the hurt leg I noticed today had blue skin in the hurt area on her back...looked like a bruise but her leg was hot so I put her on antibiotics. I hope that will help her heal (always hesitant to bring out the antibiotic but the hot leg made me think infection). Anyway, I assume that I should wait on eating her eggs until so many days after she's off it? How many days should I wait?

TIA,
Michelle

#10296 - 08/07/02 07:14 PM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Michelle,

What antibiotic did you give her? I have a book that lists withdrawl times for several common ones so I'll look and see if yours is listed.

Susie

#10297 - 08/08/02 08:58 AM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe it's tetracycline. Use is 1/2 tsp per gallon and I'll do it for 5 days.

Thank you. The package doesn't say how long the withdrawal period is.

Michelle

#10298 - 08/08/02 12:30 PM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Michelle,

My book says 3 days but also suggested looking up the most current FDA guideline so I chased down some info on that. The most recent study (don't quote me but I think it was 1998 that I finally found) broke down the residual levels. They have, of course, established a "safe" level of tetracycline residue in the egg and their testing meets that level at 2 days withdrawl time. But the chart showed it at zero in 5 days.

This is interesting to me because we have discussed these subjects on this board before and many of us just guessed. I think I have thrown out eggs for 10 days before. I have a lot of antibiotic allergies though so although I doubt I will go a full 10 days in the future, I definitely think I'll wait for the "zero" level for myself.

Susie

#10299 - 08/08/02 04:21 PM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, thanks for doing all that research...a great way to use your newfound book! I'll wait for the full 5 days probably.

She is looking a little better this afternoon but I suppose she'll be resting in the "hospital" for a few more days, and at least the 3 left on the antibiotic.

She didn't lay today anyway...

#10300 - 08/08/02 06:59 PM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I take it back, she laid her biggest egg yet later this afternoon. Since they can't be eaten, they'll be good ones to blow out and keep for decoration or craft projects.

#10301 - 08/09/02 12:18 PM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a great site that has withdrawal times of lots of medications; it comes in handy. http://www.farad.org/faradpro/

#10302 - 08/09/02 02:33 PM Re: Pine Tar and Eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks...a very useful site to add to Favorites!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2