Topic Options
#10317 - 02/13/06 10:37 AM Pasty Butt Remedy?
Helmstead Offline
New Egg

Loc: Georgia
What can I do to resolve pasty butt? My chicks seem constipated. Mash the feed? Give oil?

#10318 - 02/13/06 11:16 AM Re: Pasty Butt Remedy?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Its not hard stool that causes pasty butt, its wet stool that sticks, try oatmeal and temperature correction?? I only get about 2 a year and I cull them. For pets just clean off by trimming and washing.

#10319 - 02/14/06 12:14 AM Re: Pasty Butt Remedy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Debbie has a pasty butt, but I notice it goes through phases, couple of weeks not pasty and some times it. It is not that bad and not a problem. Remember it is a living creature and you are a living creature - we are made perfect even humans. However I give her calcium liquid each day and I find giving her multivitamins helps her and prevents the pasty poo. I find it has to do her lack of nutrients in her body why it she does this.

I was hurt about the remarks to suggest CULLING in regards to a pasty BUTT.

I understand people are in the business to make money, but donít forget, peoples hens on here are pets and to suggest to cull for a pasty bum is LOW in my BOOK.

#10320 - 02/14/06 06:46 AM Re: Pasty Butt Remedy?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I suggested that for pets there can be some remedies that a more serious fancier might not fool with. I consider my animals my pets and certainly they are not for profit ! I am a breeder not a chicken multiplier, my goal is not to produce weak, sickly poultry always in need of medicating or doctoring. I think my practice is sound, more sound than letting the wak procreate. I don t have sick chickens, thats due to the fact that I take mweasures to NOT have them.
If the facts of breeding are bothersome and hurtful, read the pet stuff, not the serious stuff. Maybe you missed the ideas I had given as possible remedies.?

#10321 - 02/14/06 09:03 AM Re: Pasty Butt Remedy?
JayBird Offline
Bantam

Loc: Alabama
I agree with you Rob. There comes a time when as a serious breeder you must cull the weak stock in order to better the breed. Those who treat their poultry as "fam" need to stick with the pet stuff!

#10322 - 02/14/06 02:15 PM Re: Pasty Butt Remedy?
Helmstead Offline
New Egg

Loc: Georgia
I've tried the oatmeal and it seems to have worked, there's no real temp control...it's move away from the light if you're hot typa thing. Alas, they are culling themselves, so I am spared the trouble! We're in it for eggs and meat, so beyond being aggravating since I'll have to order more birds...this is a learning experience.

And I have to agree with Rob...but mine aren't pets and certainly won't get a name (Uh, we're eating Josie for dinner tonight - I don't think so!)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2