Topic Options
#102903 - 03/16/12 04:06 PM How Do I introduce a new hen, They killed her
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Hi, I had lost a hen for an unknown reason Fine when I put them up for the night and she was weak the next morning and dead by the afternoon. I got a replacement hen ( One that all of my birds except for the rooster used to live with ) and they were rough on her right away, They seemed to have eased up on her but I found her dead tonight they tore her up and I feel bad.

The Rooster and the hens were both nasty to her.

So my Question is how do I make sure or at least better my chances next time?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102907 - 03/16/12 09:49 PM Re: How Do I introduce a new hen, They killed her [Re: JoeG]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
My experience is that you just can't "add another hen" to a coop as small as yours. THere is no place to escape. And even with lots of room, it is almost impossible without fighting and the hens are the worst to have a stranger in their coop. And the new one has no chance to settle and be a layer. Your experince is normal. There have been many posts about this question==SEARCH function might give you a better idea. CJR .

#102915 - 03/17/12 06:31 AM Re: How Do I introduce a new hen, They killed her [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I am thinking about putting the chicks when there old enough to go outside in to a fenced off section in the coop, and ill put them in there when the other are out of the coop, Ill then leave them divided for a couple weeks and tehn either let them out of there section while the others are outside or Ill let them out at night, How does that sound?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102921 - 03/17/12 02:00 PM Re: How Do I introduce a new hen, They killed her [Re: JoeG]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Good luck, I think i8 is too many birds for the size of your coop. THe older birds May also kill your chicks. Until the chicks are almost fully grown, they will not be accepted at all, and then they will have a hard time competeing for food and water. Outside? May work, if you have enough room and shelter from wind and rain. Laying means hens coming into the house at unscheduled times all day--can't divide them then--

You will work it out--we all learn by experience and everyone's experience is a bit different. Again, good luck!! CJR

Edited by CJR (03/17/12 02:03 PM)

#102923 - 03/17/12 03:25 PM Re: How Do I introduce a new hen, They killed her [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I do plan on putting a addition on or maybe building a second coop.I see people that have more birds per square foot then I do. I do plan to have them out for most of the day and only in at night to sleep. I am looking for tips to make it as best a it can be.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102938 - 03/18/12 09:47 AM Re: How Do I introduce a new hen, They killed her [Re: JoeG]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
One against many makes the biggest risk for failure. It is better with a bigger group, so aggression is devided on many. If someone can afford , it is worth trying to move all involved birds to a new housing, where they ALL be 'strangers', so aggression of the 'old birds' would be subdued by new environment.

#103308 - 04/10/12 06:09 PM Re: How Do I introduce a new hen, They killed her [Re: Wieslaw]
NolanFarms Offline
New Egg

Loc: Idaho, USA 83801
Oddly enough this is what has worked for me in the past. I take the established chickens and put them in another coupe for a week. I let the newby (usually with 3 or 4 newby friends) all alone in the new coupe, to root around, get to smelling like the other birds. Then I turn the old birds out in the day (supervised) only locking them up with the new bird at night. They tend to buddy up better that way. I also make sure that there are MANY places for a newby to hide and get away from the other flock, should they decide they are not in a welcoming mood. 1/4 hay bales tide up and sitting in a few places in the coupe help. Make sure the birds can get all the way around them, so no one gets cornered. Placing some goodies and snacks in the yard of the coupe helps to distract the old hens from trouble too. Sometimes an old group will never welcome new ones, but if you are to have a chance at it...more room is always better.
We love our Poulty Palace, Austerlorps, Jersey Giants, Black Copper Marans, Speckled Cochin Banties, Muscovy Ducks, Ring Neck Pheasants, Welsh Pembroke Corgies, Quarter Horses and Paints, and the wilderness of Northern Idaho oh and we homeschool too. =-)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn