Topic Options
#103016 - 03/23/12 10:57 AM Mixing Chicks Together
Coopman Offline
New Egg

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Hello All,
I've just learned that two Russian Orloff chicks will be available one week earlier that the remaining ten chicks I'll be raising this year. All twelve chicks will be newly hatched, however 2 of the chicks will be one week older than the remaining 10.

Can I raise them together? Should I separate them for a certain period of time?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Best,
Coopman
(aka Mark)

#103018 - 03/23/12 03:37 PM Re: Mixing Chicks Together [Re: Coopman]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If they are all Orloffs, just food and water at both ends of the brooder, may be sufficient to make it work. (maybe add one older chick at a time, to adjust--one at a time). When I had a naughty chick of the nearly same age, I placed a netted berry basket over the naughty one, right in the middle of the box, for a "time out" for an hour at a time. It could see out, the other chicks really had no clue. This usually worked for my chicks snd the naughty chick was too interested in feed and water to resume agression. You can be creative, and make it work for you. Good luck,
CJR

#103021 - 03/23/12 07:36 PM Re: Mixing Chicks Together [Re: CJR]
Coopman Offline
New Egg

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Many thanks.
I was particularly concerned about the temperature issue, but if you don't think it will be too major an issue, I'll mix them and keep a close eye on them.
Best,
M

#103373 - 04/14/12 09:23 AM Re: Mixing Chicks Together [Re: Coopman]
Red Cake Offline
Chick

Loc: Ohio
Hi,

I have 2 yr. old hens and will be getting newly hatched chicks soon...how old do the new chicks have to be before I put them in with the older hens? How do I do this?

Redcake

#103376 - 04/15/12 12:29 AM Re: Mixing Chicks Together [Re: Red Cake]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I keep my brooding chicks in an area not too far from the coop. As the chicks get older and don't need heat, I open their door just wide enough for them to get in and out. They range in an area away from the older hens. Everyone sees each other and they work out the pecking order. After the two flocks have been ranging in the same area I close the door to the younger one's area and put them in the coop at night. The chicks are about 2 months old by then. It has worked for me.

#103381 - 04/15/12 10:48 AM Re: Mixing Chicks Together [Re: Maria Ricardo]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Lucky when you can do it! Numbers of birds each age (and size) and the space available often makes it a success or failure (loss of youngsters killed by the older hens)

Some fence the young birds (nearly size of hens) wihin the coop.(to become familier) My bantams do not respond to this at all, and somehow just seem to "plan how to get them" as soon as they can--a week later or even more!.

Some breeds of large fowl are more mellow and allow the young birds (nearly the same size) to integrate. Free range, with feeders and water available in several places, so the young birds have access, as well as escape places is usually successful. Winter in the north does not help, even with free range.

How do I do it? Not at all--- until fully grown and then only individusl pullets that may go into a breeding pen with a cock and maybe one or two hens. Occasionally a rooster will intervene, keep peace, and after a week or so, hens will be more compatible, but never real friends. They do like their hatch mates best!

Good luck--you will do it, just do not hurry the process. CJR

#103387 - 04/16/12 11:07 PM Re: Mixing Chicks Together [Re: CJR]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Another thing that probably is a factor in my way of introducing new chicks is that there are no chicken-proof fenced in areas. All can get away if they need to. If you have a pen situation it would be a different matter.

#103402 - 04/18/12 02:07 AM Re: Mixing Chicks Together [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I have successfully integrated my old hens with three new pullets. They have been running in the same yard now for some time, and kept out of the way of the older girls, but along comes the cooler weather and the three pullets have simply moved in with the older girls. They seemed to be happily snuggled together this evening, with no effort on my part. grin

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn