Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#92451 - 11/06/10 07:53 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
Hahnsberg Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
I used to have ‘isolation chambers’ for the cocks to overnight in. I insulated them for sound by covering the outside surface of the enclosure with Styrofoam; I would then build a second wall and roof over this. This outer shell did not touch the inner shell (about two inches of empty space between). This air sandwich was a major sound dampener, as air is a poor conductor of sound; physical contact between the components of the enclosure would act as a conduit/amplifier of whatever sound escapes from whatever insulation is used. Solid-dead air-solid worked well.

For the past ten years I have worked to try to modify the crowing of cocks through selection, being curious to see how a secondary sex trait would respond to selection. Some time back I abandoned all aesthetic considerations and focused only on fertility and crowing.

After a disaster two years ago where 90% of my stock either died or exhibited extreme depression of fertility, I managed to bring the project forward with just one cock and three hens. I have now seven cocks in the back garden, all of which have a low, croaking two-note crow that is hardly noticeable at ten feet, and what is heard does not sound like a chicken to someone not seeing the cock crowing.

I was worried at first that a cock that would not crow would be a poor breeder, but my birds flap their wings, stand erect and go through the full motions of crowing, but only producing a few low croaks. The roosters are vigorous breeders (perhaps in part because of their pantomime?), and this season will see a huge crossing of daughters back to sires – the trait does not yet occur regularly in the offspring, so I must hatch many chicks to select from. I hope to continue such a pattern of crossing to see how crowing is passed to offspring. I hope to ‘set’ this trait in time. (My birds are bantams.)

Temperament as well as singing voice seem to be involved, as some cocks just crow less often – but they pass this capacity to their offspring in one form or another. It has been a matter of observing pitch of voice, number of notes in a call, and certain disposition of temper. In the last, the hen appears to be important in influencing this in her progeny. Whiney hens, those that cackle when they lay, etc. have on the whole failed to produce quiet sons when paired with a quiet cock.

My birds are fairly ugly and incongruous to look at, but quieter than any fowl I have encountered. Entirely a hobbyist’s effort, just a pastime, but an engrossing one.

#92454 - 11/06/10 09:58 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Hahnsberg]
Wieslaw Online   content
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
What a fascinating posting! I have recently asked a question in the genetic forum about heredity of crowing. I have crossed some birds into my flock, and I've observed that frequency of crowings in the offspring has exploded(which is not good for me as I have a lot of neighbors)

#92455 - 11/06/10 10:16 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
GSC Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: United Kingdom
That is so so interesting. I do wish I was close enough to buy some eggs or stock from you.

It's kind of like one of those amazing breakthroughs that slips by un-noticed. It should be ground-breaking news on all poultry forums.

#92462 - 11/06/10 06:41 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
Hahnsberg Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
I don’t know if I’d call it a breakthrough. I was lucky enough to come upon a quiet-ish cock years ago, and the idea struck me. I nearly derailed the process by trying to select for aspects of phenotype at the same time, and the fertility and vigor suffered.

Now, my sole focus is the muted crow. Most of the cocks are penned with their daughters, so I am anxious for Spring. My goal is to see the majority of offspring from these birds being at least as quiet as their sires.

#94443 - 02/10/11 01:04 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Hahnsberg]
Redcap Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Germany
Could You or Michael TX make a Video about Your cocks while they are crowing?

Would You think, thats a crowing, if You couldn't see it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHDkLuNIhbU&feature=related

#94444 - 02/10/11 01:31 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Redcap]
Wieslaw Online   content
Classroom Professor

#97660 - 07/13/11 08:03 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
I grew up in Brooklyn, just a short drive to Kennedy airport and in the flightpath. But I was never woken up by plane noise.
As an adult, I've raised chickens for about 14 years now and I've had a few roosters but they were just too noisy to keep. And if they would crow just once in the morning, fine, but to crow over and over again was too annoying.
Also, in the 3 homes I've lived in, our neighbors weren't too far away. I did not want to disturb them. I totally disagree with Wieslas's post above that if he can sleep through roosters crowing, everyone else should, too. That's rather selfish.

#103311 - 04/10/12 06:37 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: GSC]
NolanFarms Offline
New Egg

Loc: Idaho, USA 83801
dont forget that level of restful sleep is taken from their home. Not in your home. That might help you?
We love our Poulty Palace, Austerlorps, Jersey Giants, Black Copper Marans, Speckled Cochin Banties, Muscovy Ducks, Ring Neck Pheasants, Welsh Pembroke Corgies, Quarter Horses and Paints, and the wilderness of Northern Idaho oh and we homeschool too. =-)

#103312 - 04/10/12 06:39 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other noise [Re: Wieslaw]
NolanFarms Offline
New Egg

Loc: Idaho, USA 83801
WOW those two can sure crow! googly Moogly...love my birds, but if mine did that...they would have to move far far away LOL
We love our Poulty Palace, Austerlorps, Jersey Giants, Black Copper Marans, Speckled Cochin Banties, Muscovy Ducks, Ring Neck Pheasants, Welsh Pembroke Corgies, Quarter Horses and Paints, and the wilderness of Northern Idaho oh and we homeschool too. =-)

#103353 - 04/12/12 11:27 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Sunni Ten]
Wieslaw Online   content
Classroom Professor

Originally Posted By: Sunni Ten
I totally disagree with Wieslas's post above that if he can sleep through roosters crowing, everyone else should, too. That's rather selfish.

Perhaps you have misunderstood what I wrote or I worded it not clearly enough. I have the lightest sleep in the world , a mouse running on the floor can wake me up. And my coop is just 15 meters from MY BEDROOM window. If the roosters do not wake ME up, then I know that any potential complains would be just pure HYSTERIA. It has nothing to do with selfishness . Blackbirds sing all night long here and they are just as loud or louder then the roosters. But nobody call the police to make them quiet. Not to mention wood pigeons which start with the first ray of light just behind peoples windows.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn