Topic Options
#104056 - 06/05/12 11:12 AM young egg layers
tattooedgoddess Offline
New Egg

Loc: texas
my chicks are 10-13 weeks old and I found an egg.

#104058 - 06/05/12 02:04 PM Re: young egg layers [Re: tattooedgoddess]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
That's amazing!! What breed are they?

#104059 - 06/05/12 04:21 PM Re: young egg layers [Re: Maria Ricardo]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Are they still brooded by a hen, who has started to lay again? What size egg? First eggs of pullets are very small compared to mature hens. Yes, what breed? Or were they purchased chicks and could one or more be older? If you examine the Vent, is it soft and stretched? And check the width of space between the pubic bones, you can easily tell if the chick was able to lay this egg, according to its size. My bantam pullets usually begin to lay at about 16 1/2 to 18 weeks, but may lay just one small egg, then not another for nearly a week, before beginning to lay regularly every day or two.

Did you have the egg for breakfast? CJR

Edited by CJR (06/05/12 04:33 PM)

#104061 - 06/05/12 05:34 PM Re: young egg layers [Re: CJR]
tattooedgoddess Offline
New Egg

They're R I reds. I have 9hens and 1rooster. The rooster, however, is not a red. He's white. I don't know what breed it is. This is my very first attempt with chicken so the jargon is completely foreign to me. I apologize for not understanding what ur asking. I bought them from a feed store, where I was told they were approximately 3days old. The egg was little, not quite 2 and inches in length and about the same in diameter. All the research I've done, says hens don't start laying till around 20 weeks so I was shocked to find this egg, and in their nesting box. Im pleased and alarmed.
And no, I haven't cooked it up smile im not quit sure what I want to do with it just yet

Edited by tattooedgoddess (06/05/12 06:11 PM)

#104071 - 06/06/12 06:54 AM Re: young egg layers [Re: tattooedgoddess]
tattooedgoddess Offline
New Egg

It's official smile I just watched her lay her second egg....how exciting

#104080 - 06/06/12 10:01 PM Re: young egg layers [Re: tattooedgoddess]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I wonder if they were older than represented at the feed store.
You may have a white Rhode Island rooster, although I do also wonder if you have commercial bred hens such as Isa Browns or Shavers as we call them here. Those hens are also red, like RIRs, and the roosters are white with ginger wing feathers. Some pictures of your birds would be good.

#104091 - 06/07/12 10:29 AM Re: young egg layers [Re: Foehn]
tattooedgoddess Offline
New Egg

Posting pictures of my birds, although a great idea, is asking a bit much smile im a monkey pushing buttons when it comes to technology smile my rooster doesn't have any brown or red. He has some black specks but predominantly white. Its possible that they were a bit older but couldn't have been more than a week...even so, still very young nonetheless. She gave us a third egg this morning. A gorgeous tiny egg. She seems to be doing fine.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn