Topic Options
#104357 - 06/23/12 06:25 AM Keeping A Coop Cool
cteggs Offline
New Egg

Loc: southern connecticut
Hello Everyone-
Iíve purchased ten assorted chicks three months ago. They are all doing very well. They are inquisitive, quirky and all very healthy. I live in the northeast, and we had a recent heat wave that lasted for three days. I quickly installed two window fans in the coop, and an oversized tarp to totally shade it; I live in Connecticut.

I would welcome any advice regarding cooling options- how to keep my fully insulated coopís temperature at a reasonable temperature- our recent heat wave topped 100 degrees for three consecutive days. To alleviate their distress, I moved all my girls into my naturally cool basement to ride out the heat wave.

Other than regularly misting their coop and run and running multiple fans, does anyone have any suggestions to combat this oppressive heat?

#104376 - 06/24/12 12:56 AM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: cteggs]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Day roosts outdoors and under a shaded area to create some draught may help, also a shallow paddling pool that you can dump some ice into to make the water cooler will also help. An acquaintance in a hot part of Australia uses this method and her hens will actively stand in the water to cool off. They need to be older than chicks though and able to get out of the water unassisted if they get cold.

#104394 - 06/24/12 09:43 PM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: Foehn]
ChickenMom Offline
New Egg

Loc: Tennessee
We freeze big bottles of water and put them in the coop with them. It helps keep the coop cool and they will also lay next to it when they start getting to hot. My chickens love it!! Works great with our rabbit too.

Edited by ChickenMom (06/24/12 09:44 PM)

#104444 - 06/29/12 04:47 PM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: ChickenMom]
cteggs Offline
New Egg

That's a great idea!
I'm amazed how resourceful the folks on this site are.
Thank you very much for your suggestion.
Best,
CTEggs

#104445 - 06/29/12 04:48 PM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: Foehn]
cteggs Offline
New Egg

I'll try a wading vessel large enough for my 12 week old girls.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Best,
CTEgg

#105056 - 07/31/12 03:56 PM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: cteggs]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
We are going through our second year of 100+ degree weather here. The very hot weather lasted 6 to 8 weeks last year and so far this year we have had about 4 weeks where temps will get close to or top 100 three to four days a week. So I bought a few of those misting lines at Lowes and a couple of fans for my coops. Put the fans behind the misters and you have a 15 or 20 degree drop in temperature. We go in the coop to cool off when working outdoors! The only downside is the ground can get a little muddy when you have to run them several hours a day.

#105122 - 08/06/12 08:05 PM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: Fowled Out]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
I use shade cloth, fans and fresh cool water every day, a couple times a day for the fresh water when I can but I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital and usually once a day is the best I can do but the shade cloth has been a life saver. 99 to 113 degrees here for the past 2 months with no rain

#105340 - 08/19/12 10:50 AM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: Smooth Mule]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Smooth Mule
I use shade cloth, fans and fresh cool water every day, a couple times a day for the fresh water when I can but I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital and usually once a day is the best I can do but the shade cloth has been a life saver. 99 to 113 degrees here for the past 2 months with no rain

Shade cloths? Where do you get them and how large are they? I'm thinking of using them for areas of my garden next year. The sun was brutal on my plants.

#109718 - 05/27/13 10:24 PM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: Fowled Out]
RoseMarie Offline
New Egg

Loc: Mississippi
Originally Posted By: Fowled Out
Originally Posted By: Smooth Mule

Shade cloths? Where do you get them and how large are they? I'm thinking of using them for areas of my garden next year. The sun was brutal on my plants.

Lowe's sells them here. It comes in a roll and it was like 25 bucks when I bought mine about 4 years ago. You can put it on canopys and things like that. My sister in law bought a roll and put it inside the window frame of her windows on the west side of her house to help cool it and it works wonders!!

#110897 - 11/02/13 03:31 AM Re: Keeping A Coop Cool [Re: cteggs]
MaryC Offline
New Egg

Loc: Ramgong
100 degrees for three consecutive days is a really dangerous heat for chickens. I wonder how you have managed this. This is a really nice question. We are glad that you have shared this with us in this forum, thanks. Just keep giving such nice ones, now I am to move to art project ideas for a few moments, bye for now, anyway, see you all.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn