Topic Options
#104358 - 06/23/12 06:44 AM Cleaning a Run
cteggs Offline
New Egg

Loc: southern connecticut
Hello Everyone,
I have ten three month old assorted girls that seem to be thriving in their coop and run. Their run consists of dirt covered with 2-3 inches of gravel. Weeds and plants are able to grow through the gravel.

Im hoping that someone can suggest how to keep their open run clean. I regularly (twice a week) wash down their run with a strong hose. This seems to be working, however, Id like to be able to add a supplement to prevent any odor from developing. Their run is close to my property line, it cant be reconfigured, and Id w like the neighbors and the health department at bay.

Thank you.

#104378 - 06/24/12 01:01 AM Re: Cleaning a Run [Re: cteggs]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
They most effective odour preventative is probably lime. Just ordinary garden lime would do. If you can scoop the poop and put it into a trench in the garden the worms will take care of it for you, and you will grow great plants on top of it. Cover with loose soil regulary and dig a new trench when that one is full. This way, you minimise the water run off, which will make the soil/poop mix smell sour after a while. Lightly hose off when you need to.

#104443 - 06/29/12 04:43 PM Re: Cleaning a Run [Re: Foehn]
cteggs Offline
New Egg

Loc: southern connecticut
Hello Foehn,
I will try lime as you suggest. I'm relieved to learn that I won't have to shovel out their entire run and replace the dirt regularly.
Thank you for your reply.

Best,
CTEggs

#105055 - 07/31/12 03:40 PM Re: Cleaning a Run [Re: cteggs]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Will lime not burn their feet or mouth if they ingest it?

#105057 - 07/31/12 04:43 PM Re: Cleaning a Run [Re: Fowled Out]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Obtain the right lime-- there are several kinds--"hot" lime and "sweet" lime. CJR

#105061 - 08/01/12 01:08 AM Re: Cleaning a Run [Re: CJR]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Calcium oxide, also known as Burnt lime or quick lime is not the right type. That will burn as the heating process under which it is manufactured, makes it caustic.
What you need is the ordinary garden lime or calcium carbonate, which is a ground form of the raw limestone. You will also find this form in dolomite. Here is is used as a topdressing in agriculture to lift the PH in soil and change its composition from acidic to alkaline

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn