Topic Options
#104662 - 07/11/12 12:16 PM Crowing hen
karent Offline
New Egg

Loc: Greeley CO
I have two backyard hens, and they faithfully lay two eggs every single day. However, about a month ago one of them started crowing. It started out as a loud, weird noise every morning at 5am, and has evolved into full-blown crowing. I'm not actually allowed to have hens in my residential neighborhood, and I'm sure the neighbors are going to start complaining. She is silent the rest of the day, and a sweet girl, so I hate to take her back to the farm where I bought her. Any suggestions to stop her?

#104665 - 07/11/12 01:36 PM Re: Crowing hen [Re: karent]
mdenham Offline
Bantam

Loc: Charneux, Belgium
Hi Karent,
I had this same issue in January. It was an Ancona bantam. It was at a winter period during which I had few birds and no males close to her. She was in a pen on her own. I would suggest that you purchase a third hen of a variety that has a natural predispoistion towards being dominant. Some, such as the Asil/Aseel can be very pugnacious and dominant tending towards aggressive. Put them together - a short battle will insure (nothing like a cock-fight) and the more dominant should win - ideally the new-comer. You may pose the question - "but wouldn't the new hen start crowing in her place?" My answer would be "not neccessarily". Although not entirely uncommon for a hen to crow, it is not generally the norm.
Kind regards,
M: +32 (0) 497-61-03-00

#104666 - 07/11/12 02:04 PM Re: Crowing hen [Re: mdenham]
karent Offline
New Egg

Thanks for the suggestion. I do worry that she will just teach the other one to crow too, but maybe not.

#104668 - 07/11/12 02:52 PM Re: Crowing hen [Re: karent]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Karen, although dominance can be a trigger to hens without a rooster in their midst, it has been my experience that hens going out of laying for a time and thus, hormone changes, can trigger crowing. For instance going broody, going from laying to non laying or vis-versa, or going into moult.

City ordinances can be a right pain. I'm not allowed roosters but am allowed hens. (12) and some councils classify bantams as cage birds which are allowed. They are doing some good work in California where urban hens are returning.

Urban chickens

#104688 - 07/12/12 09:01 AM Re: Crowing hen [Re: Foehn]
karent Offline
New Egg

I haven't seen any change in her laying (still every day) or in her behavior. When I got her from the farm, she was pretty pecked up, so I think she got picked on. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, now that she is the boss here. I hate to send her back there, but I don't want to get in trouble and lose my ability to keep hens here.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn