Topic Options
#10464 - 08/19/03 06:36 PM Injured Foot
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know I'm supposed to post this in the turkey forum, but I figured I'd get a faster reponse in this one. About a week ago, one of turkey jakes (this years clutch) started limping a little. He likes to roost very high in the trees during the day. I figured he probably landed kind of funny and pulled a muscle or something like that. Well, it swelled a little, so I gave him a brace to help out in walking, as maybe he sprained it. There was a little puncture wound on the center pad, but it looked kind of old. I had to move him away from the other turkeys because they were jumping all over him. Two days ago he wasn't able to even stand very well, I reread the bumblefoot post. I decided that that was probably it, but instead of a hard swelling, like in bumblefoot, the swelling is soft. I thought maybe what I was considering soft was what someone else would consider hard. So I lanced it. I squeezed very hard. Only very thin blood came out. The blood seemed very watery. I though maybe I didn't go deep enough to get to the infection, so I cut a little deeper. Only thin blood. I cleaned it up and dressed it. I then called my vet, he said he couldn't be sure what it is without doing cultures and examining him. It really wouldn't be worth it to pay a vet for him as he is meant for butcher anyways. So as a last resort, I'm posting here. Anyone have any ideas?

#10465 - 08/21/03 02:46 PM Re: Injured Foot
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I'm not familier with turkeys but a puncture is a good way to get bumble foot. I hate to suggest using an antibiotic if your not sure what you have but it certainly sounds like some sort of infection. If it doesn't get better I would treat for bumble foot. My experience has been right in the foot pad which is firm to start with so when swollen it feels hard. Once again, not knowing much about turkeys it may feel different. Good luck to you!

Bill

#10466 - 08/21/03 04:47 PM Re: Injured Foot
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
peacocks get a soft swelling too..and I usually just leave it alone. They seem to be able to beat it in few weeks and there is less of a lump than when I used to lance them. Sometimes it helps to slowly pick up the bird and dunk the foot in a coffee can of pleasantly hot water. After a time or two, they will come to you for that, so it must make it feel better..also, some germs don't like heat....which is why sick creatures sometimes run a fever to kill them. I have trouble with birds flying out of trees and off the house roof to long grass with sharp things still in it from 100 plus years of untidy former owners. Nails, fencing steeples, that osrt of thing. I pick them up when I find them, so it's getting a little better after 20 some years, but I'm not done yet. grin.

#10467 - 08/21/03 05:04 PM Re: Injured Foot
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you both for your response.

Well, he can no longer stand up straight. He hasn't been eating much if at all, nor drinking much water (it's been mid-90s). I placed him directly infront of the food and water, so he could get both without moving. My mom brought me a general (+ and -) antibiotic (can't remeber what it was called) from the hospital where she works. It's for humans, but if it will work, he'll become a new pet turkey.

Jocelyn, with your peafowl, do they normally get to the point of not being able to stand?

Depending on how things go, I'll reopen late next week, if anything to atleast drain excess fluid.

#10468 - 08/22/03 08:56 AM Re: Injured Foot
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
No, they just usually get a big, soft lump that makes them limp. It comes to a head and breaks and oozes for a few days, then scabbs and shrinks to very little..3 weeks start to finish is usual.
If he can't stand, it has gone systemic and you may need antibiotics in water or injectable. Staph is a common "bug" that often causes the bumblefoot, so try something that works on Staph aurious.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2