Topic Options
#10469 - 05/02/08 04:15 AM injured chicken
Bear Dog Offline
Chick

Loc: Kentucky
I have a hen who's skin is torn under the wing I believe by the roster mounter her, I'm not sure on that. I had her by her self for 5 days to give her time to heal. I let her out today, she went back to where I had her to heal, she let me look under her wing and it's still bad. There is a big bald area also.She is eating well,what else should I do? Should I keep her by her self until she is completely healed? is there anything I can do to help her heal? The other hens are fine with her. Should I let her out and put the roaster by him self for a while?

#10470 - 05/02/08 09:49 AM Re: injured chicken
Dee Dee Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maryland
Yes, I would keep her by herself until healed. And use some sort of antibacterial dressing on the wound, I use neosporin. I've never had one hurt under the wing, don't know how hard an area that is to heal. Do know that hens will recover fromt the most awful wounds though. And keep an eye for flies and maggot infestation. Wishing you good luck and that she heals quickly.

#10471 - 05/02/08 04:26 PM Re: injured chicken
Bear Dog Offline
Chick

The tear is about 2' wide and 3' long, you can see the meat. It's been about 10 days with on scab, shouldn't she be forming a scab? She seems fine no problem eating or drinking water. I put another hen with her to keep her so she not alone.

#10472 - 05/02/08 04:57 PM Re: injured chicken
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The skin over parts of the body of a chicken, do not scab, just healfrom the ends in to the center, as a usual thing. Are you applying an antibiotic oitnment to the edges? If it slides open, you can just slide the skin together and put a small sticky tape to keep it closed (but of course it won't stick on on ointment applied). As long as it remains clean, it is unlikely to have an infection after this length of time. Do check on it daily, however--and if she is alright with the hens, just remove the rooster for another week--at least. Then take her out until he is happy with the hens again, before she goes back in the flock--it should work out okay, if you are vigilant! Good luck, CJR

#10473 - 05/02/08 05:34 PM Re: injured chicken
Bear Dog Offline
Chick

Thanks for the information, I am using antibiotic spray twice a day. I did at one time see the skin clumped together on the side , should I try to see if I can bring it over the wound?

#10474 - 05/03/08 12:45 PM Re: injured chicken
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
I've had several seriously injured chickens over the years, usually caused by a new puppy in the family. (Our dogs over the years have been GREAT with chickens, but sometimes as puppies their play mode got a little out of control.) I've had a few with big gaping holes in their neck and back. We down a few, but others we were able to save. I remember the one chicken I'd clean out her wounds morning and night and I think I put some kind of ointment or something on her. (It's been many years.) I also kept her separated for a few days. My coop is large and they are all free-range so I didn't need to separate her for long because she had a lot of room.

#10475 - 05/13/08 02:20 PM Re: injured chicken
Bear Dog Offline
Chick

My chicken grew back her skin, will her feathers grow back, and how long will it take?
Thanks

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2