Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#104727 - 07/13/12 09:00 AM Dutch Hens and Pullets
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Ok. This thread will be for the girls only. There will be some pictures that are already posted here in other threads. A LB pullet, aka , Gold Partridge owned by Cennydd Jones and bred by Simon York in the UK. Nice bird. Rog

#104728 - 07/13/12 09:08 AM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: Rog]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

CLB pullet

#104729 - 07/13/12 09:13 AM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: Rog]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Repeat picture but what a great pullet.

#104730 - 07/13/12 10:30 AM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: Rog]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Cennydd's pullet is "showing" and has her tail too high for everyday "walk about" view. Pictures do this--her wing tips when tail is so high, are too separate from lower tail feathers when she is showing about like she is "spooky". Judges like this--I like the calmer "look at me" view of the other two pullets.

The CLB pullet is very nice!. She lacks one DUTCH character that is too often missed-- CUSHION, which both of the other pullets show. "Saddle Build" up is the other term. Too many of our pullets have a sharper break at the tail end of the back, lack of cushion,--and pullets that have that nice cushion (that makes a proper length back look shorter--as the Standard calls for) will be better producers of eggs (body long enough to carry nice eggs in the making) and also are producers of the cockerels with proper rounded tail attachement and GREAT saddles!

Note the curved top tail feathesrs on each of these lovely pullets--also the second tail feathers--also a curve- then some straight tail feathers. The straight feathers are a bit longer and make the "rounded" tail end, not straight ended, with the top tail feather, longer and straight. --And the lower tail feather on the lovely tails,are shorter and also curved, but slight upward curve-! If you count the tail feathers of the females, there should be TOP pair and then 7 tail feathers o each side. We have breeders with hens with 8-9 tail feathers on each side--gorgeous spreads (fans)!

I have been collecting tail feathers from the molt, both males and females--and will have some pictures to show what they look like when "not assembled" on the birds!

Sending Rog another pullet picture, one of my favorites, and will later send very young pullet pictures --that give early tips to choose your best to keep, for future breeding/showing. May be aother day or 2? CJR

keep cool!

#104731 - 07/13/12 11:07 AM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: CJR]
kd Offline
Feather

Loc: Wisconsin
Fantastic!
I'm going to print it out so I can refer to it in the coops with the girls.

I will also show it to Jim, hubby, he has a good eye for type and confirmation from years of breeding horses and dogs. I wish I could get him more into the chicken breeding. He does spend time with Gabby going over the standard and looking at her birds, analyzing how they are developing. She has a pretty good natural eye for it, something I do not.

#104732 - 07/13/12 12:37 PM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: kd]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Noord Show LB Pullet. Looks BLB in the picture but CJR said she was listed as a LB.

#104736 - 07/13/12 03:22 PM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: Rog]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

3 year old hen. Owned by Sol Pullen and bred by Jon Grubb UK

#104737 - 07/13/12 03:35 PM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: Rog]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Sorry, this comment did not get posted before the next LB (Gold Partridge) was up---and is for the NoordShow pullet just above her.

This lovely pullet is still several weeks to a month away from TOP score mature plumage. Note one tail feather is not quite in--hope it wasn't too long. And the cushion feathers ride nicely up the main tail. The "tail coverts" which spring from the cushion, correspond to the lesser sickles of the males. This pullet has wonderful length of tail coverts, not fully in at this time. She should produce males with wonderful tail--and many lesser sickles of soft ended shape. Her tail is flaring DOWN and not UP high, a better standard profile than the "showy" hightail spread of some of our show-girls. They may produce cockerels with tails shaped too HIGH and not allow the lovely rounded back with balanced build. CJR

Pictures do not tell the real story, but good ones give us something to select for! And don't we wish that our show dates and plumage, mature and best condition, would fall on the same weekends!

OH, The LB hen is really NICE -Sol and Jon! For my files, I lightened the picture a little. Wish I knew the breeding of these lovely birds--how close to Holland imports to UK, ands from which Holland breeders. The NoordShow is the place to go to see (and obtain) super Dutch in many varieties! (First weekend in January every year--then follow the birds when they reach new shores!)

How have the breeders in Holland made such progress in reaching the vanGink model (with planned slight changes)? It is their SCORING method at Shows--and when the Holland Judges come to UK,they have permission to use their Specially prepared scoring cards, at Stafford and it is one up on our usual Judging methods! Exhibitors KNOW where their bird is best and not as good, it is right on each coop card--the best beginning for the putting together a really GOOD Dutch--we just have 1, 2, 3,4 placings,and most exhibitors think they have a great bird if it wins--never knowing for sure, what parts can bring improvement in any part-- or even best quality as a breeding bird. It is up to each of us to learn what is correct!

Edited by CJR (07/16/12 06:09 PM)

#104767 - 07/15/12 10:07 AM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: CJR]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

2010 Simon York BCLB hen.

#104768 - 07/15/12 10:57 AM Re: Dutch Hens and Pullets [Re: Rog]
Cutting_Edge Offline
Chick

Loc: Ontario,Canada
The third LB pullet is georgous lol got lots of little ones from her this year as I got all of Marks Dutch.. Her sister is better then her in my opinion with a super amazing spread.. Will try to get a pic soon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, CJR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box