Topic Options
#10486 - 05/16/05 07:20 PM Piperazine dosage
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
I have a hen with a HUGE parasite load of roundworms. I need the dosage/ratio to add to water OR can I give it to them via syringe in the mouth? Also if anyone knows, I need the dosage for rabbits too as the rabbits frolick with the chickens (and all the infected poop). Thanks.

#10487 - 05/17/05 01:20 AM Re: Piperazine dosage
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
FDA Search Engine:Wazine-34 (piperazine)

Quote:
Chickens

Amount:
50 milligrams per bird under 6 weeks,
100 milligrams per bird over 6 weeks.
Indications:
For removal of large roundworm (Ascaridia species).

Limitations:
For use in drinking water or feed. Use as sole source of drinking water. Prepare fresh solution daily. Use as 1-day single treatment. Withdraw 14 days prior to slaughter. Do not use for chickens producing eggs for human consumption. Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment, and control of parasitism.

#10488 - 05/17/05 10:13 AM Re: Piperazine dosage
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
Okay - so help out a person who struggles with math ratios. I have a solution of piperazine liquid that is 250ml per teaspoon. How much should I add to 1 gallon of water for 15 birds?

#10489 - 05/18/05 06:27 AM Re: Piperazine dosage
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
I'm not good at the conversion rates. The following is an Australian government website for registered animal drugs here.
http://www.apvma.gov.au/pubcris/subpage_pubcris.shtml
If you type in "piperazine" in the "active 1" text box, it will bring up all the products, some of which are for poultry, others for rabbits, etc.

The CCD Piperazine for chickens (powder for drinking water) works out to be about 1.2 grams of piperazine for 1 litre drinking water. So that is about 4.5 grams of piperazine per gallon (3.785 litres = 1 gallon). These instructions are not for a particular number of birds or bird weight, just give the medicated water for 2 days (ie, they take into account how much a bird will drink in a day).

You will have to calculate the amount needed, using the concentration rate of the specific product you have (I dont understand the rate you gave, as 1 teaspoon is approx. 5 ml?).

The above link also has a couple of products for rabbits, both with the dose rate 40mg of piperazine for 1kg body weight.

#10490 - 05/18/05 08:18 AM Re: Piperazine dosage
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
My bottle of Piperazine--on the label says: 1 oz per gallon of water, and also that 2T is 1 ounce. So 1T of Piperazine to 2 quarts of water is a ratio we can all manage with a small flock or just several birds. Good luck
CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2