Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104874 - 07/20/12 04:02 PM my hen is walking with her tail down slowly.
lcat Offline
New Egg

Loc: ohio
I noticed today 1 hen is making a funny noise i never heard before, & is walking very slow with her tail down. Also we have had 2 eggs in the last couple weeks that were very small and totally round & don't know what that means.

#104876 - 07/20/12 04:39 PM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: lcat]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Welcome to the coop. Funny in what way? Can you post a picture of the hen?

#104877 - 07/20/12 06:08 PM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: Wieslaw]
lcat Offline
New Egg

No Pic, almost sounds like a turkey!

#104884 - 07/21/12 01:53 AM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: lcat]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
If by 'with her tail down' you mean 'like a penguin', the bird is in trouble,hence the sound of pain/strain.Have you checked if there is an egg that cannot be laid for some reason? Several small(yolkless) eggs in a row is a sign that something has happened with the reproductive system. The bird may not recover.

#104886 - 07/21/12 03:46 AM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: Wieslaw]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Do you have the confidence with your hen to put on a pair of disposable gloves and check the vent of the hen? have a very gentle feel beneath the tail bone and between the pelvic bones and see if you can feel any firmness that might be an egg. If you feel just soft tissue, you can go further and use your gloved finger to gently probe the vent. It is advisable to use KY jelly for this bit. I stress gently as if there is an egg stuck inside, it will be behind the pelvic bones and you don't want to break it as that can lead to peritonitis and death. If there is an egg, you can try dunking her rear end in warm water, and keeping her there for a while. Hens don't seem to mind this and the warm water will sometimes make the tension go as they relax and the egg will come out. If you do not have confidence to do this, then it is advisable to take her to a vet, Preferably an Avian vet, who will know what to do.
Your hen may have a problem with her reproductive tract, as Wieslaw has already said. If she passes the egg, she will be off colour for a few days, so keep her quiet and warm. She may have a supersize egg this time after small ones and be egg bound.
A lot depends on how you feel about this hen, as to the course of action you will take. All the best. Let us know how you get on.

#104887 - 07/21/12 09:58 AM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: Foehn]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
My experience with "penguin posture" is Soft Shelled egg in the passage. This is very painful, and takes sometimes more than a day, even two, to pass. I never poke or squeeze the hen, as if the soft shell breaks internally, it is certain death. (ooze of yolk or egg white may be around the vent, indicating breakage inside.) When the soft shelled egg finally emerges, (on the roost, if she is able to roost or on the coop floor--will be eaten by other hens, but the rubbery shell will remain- as evidence -the hen will feel just fine again. She may continue to lay soft shelled eggs and each is a risk-or the glitch in the reproductive system (shell gland) may recover and she will lay normally again. Good luck CJR

#104888 - 07/21/12 10:26 AM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: Foehn]
lcat Offline
New Egg

I soaked her in warm water for about 10 min., I felt around her ab gently, maybe felt an egg,it may have even moved. Took her out & dried her & she is walking around now, she's never let us handle her like that before. Now what should i do?

#104890 - 07/21/12 05:42 PM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: lcat]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Just Wait......and see that other birds do not bother her. CJR

#104924 - 07/24/12 05:37 AM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: CJR]
lcat Offline
New Egg

Well, Norma Didn't make it. We work up the next morning to find her gone.
I'm still wondering about those 2 small eggs, did they come from her, & was that a sign somthing was wrong, they did have yolks. I now have 4 girls to take care of.
Thanks for your help guys! Lori

#104927 - 07/24/12 08:36 AM Re: my hen is walking with her tail down slowly. [Re: lcat]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

One more possibility not mentioned is: Internal laying. An egg partly or fully formed, by unexplained reverse peristalsis, at some place in the canal,the egg is pushed back up the canal, falls and remains inside the abdomen-no exit. There is no treatment. So sorry the hen could not recover, nothing you could have done. With the billions of laying hens in the world, all are not created equal--and it is sad when glitches occur with one of our hens. CJR

Edited by CJR (07/24/12 08:39 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2